S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2003, 08:53 PM

Rob Pirie
Default Rigging Black Bart Lures

I have just purchased 7 Black Bart lures which BTS generously donated to the fund raising auction for the Pakula Friendly Tournament in Australia which raised over $24,000 (AUS) for breast cancer.

The lures are :- Abaco Prowler ,Marlin Candy , 1656 Flat, RPP , Mini 1656 Flat, Mini 1656 Angle & the Bad Bad Guy , they look great and the finish is outstanding.

Now I have to rig them I'm pretty partial to the Pakula shackle rig will this work on slant head lures ? I would appreciate any input on single or double rigs , stiff or mouse trap style they will be used primarly on 30 to 50lb tackle.

Thanks Rob

P.S Bart I couldn't access your web site
Old 02-20-2003, 10:48 PM

Jon Petterssen
Default RE: Rigging Black Bart Lures

Hello Rob

Cap'n Bart will spill the beans but I can only tell you his advice worked for me like a charm for blue & striped marlin.The shackle works ok also and you can lock it in place as much as it will allow.I do use the shackle sometimes on Bart's smaller lures when looking for all comers but otherwise follow the leader...........

The rig Bart uses I have found does not suit Pete's lures but Dave Brackman has a similar rig which does so you can have the best of both worlds........

Take care & be lucky Jon
;) ;)
Old 02-21-2003, 12:05 AM

Rob Pirie

Thanks Jon , I got some advice from a few different people when I bought the lures , all knew what they where talking about but it was all different (confusing) stiff , shackle pinned , single , double straight , 60 degrees ect ,hence my post .

I do all my own rigging I just want to do right first time round:*

Rob

Old 02-21-2003, 05:17 AM

Capt Say

Rob...

You could send them over to the states, I'd be happy to rig them up for ya :D

They don't say BOST vs BART do they ? ...lolol

Goodluck with them, ya got some real classic's.... I like semi-stiffies at 180 degree w/ 7691s ... to each is own }>
Old 02-21-2003, 05:28 PM

Rob Pirie

Capt Say thats a very generous offer (thankyou) if I wasn't so keen to get them wet I would take you up on it :P

I forgot to mention that I got a Joe Yee Super Plunger as well.
(Blue / Silver mmmmm....)

Semi-stiffies at 180 degree w/ 7691s seems to where I am heading , I thought 12'0's for the bigger lures and for some of the smaller ones I thought I would use the Mustard light weights 76LGS from 8 to 10/0 and on the 30lb lures I would use the Gamatsu SL12 10/0 Teflon coated fly hook (great hook).

I will rig some up today and tomorrow and I will post a couple of photos of them .

Thanks again Rob

Land Behind , Fish Below , Stories Ahead.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:23 PM

SCMO Expert
Capt. Bart Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

[font color=navy] Aloha Robt,
Sorry about the delay in responding, guess what i've been up to?
I'm going to paste your post and go over the rigging with you as I would do it.[/font]

I have just purchased 7 Black Bart lures which BTS generously donated to the fund raising auction for the Pakula Friendly Tournament in Australia which raised over $24,000 (AUS) for breast cancer.
The lures are :- Abaco Prowler [font color=red]I would use a stiff rigged single stainless steel mustad tuna bend hook 10/0, 900 lb. stainless cable connection to the hook, double shrink tube the hook eye & leader eye, double shrink tube connection, the hooks point should reach the very last tip of your skirts, just outside the tip. You should also connect your leader to the cable hook connection, taping this part is better then heat shrinking because of the heat near your leader, after taping use some instant glue on the bitter end so that it does not unwrap during trolling. Marlin Candy, 1656 all take the same rigging. Use 9/0 hook rig on R.P.P. Mini 1656 & Bad Guy. Leader choice for smaller 9/0 rigs would work fine with 400 lb. mono or 300 lb. mono. Your 10/0 rigs try 400 lb. or 500 lb. leader, if your in a tournament you may wish to use more leader strength. I will hunt up a photo of my rigging, it is simple quick and highly effective, my hook up ratio is too good to brag about, ask Jon Petersson, he became a believer after a few private e-mails back and forth, describing why I prefer this method to any other I have ever tried, Capt. Bobby Brown and many other champions have settled with this no brainer technique, good luck, and thank you for buying the original product from B.T.S. David is an important account who is definetly after his customers satisfaction. papa[/font],Marlin Candy , 1656 Flat, RPP , Mini 1656 Flat, Mini 1656 Angle & the Bad Bad Guy , they look great and the finish is outstanding.

Now I have to rig them I'm pretty partial to the Pakula shackle rig will this work on slant head lures ? I would appreciate any input on single or double rigs , stiff or mouse trap style they will be used primarly on 30 to 50lb tackle.

Thanks Rob

P.S Bart I couldn't access your web site

Old 02-21-2003, 07:33 PM

Rob Pirie

Without seeming like a bonehead where do I find:-
Click here to choose your file

I can't seem to post a photo ?????

Rob
Old 02-21-2003, 08:04 PM

Rob Pirie

Papa thankyou I have printed the page and I have stuck it on my rigging bench.

I'm pleased to advise that all lures have no letter "S"
in the spelling of Bart :7

As soon as I work out how to post a photo I will show you what I've done.

Thanks Rob

Old 02-22-2003, 01:53 PM

TagnBrag

Rob,

Email me the pics...

wayne@tagnbrag.com

I'll put them on my server and put a link to them for you to use as you see fit.

Least I can do for the guy who put me through a bilge pump :*

Cheers

Wayne
Old 02-22-2003, 11:31 PM

Rob Pirie

Wayne,
Thanks for that I will send them tonight.

Papa,
Which way do you have the hook facing up or down ?

I am assuming with the point of the hook at the top.

Which way do you run the lure?

Longest part of the slant to the top ?

Thanks Rob