S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2001, 08:13 AM

Marco
Default What's the purpose of top shots?

How long should they be on Penn 80's? What brand of line? What knot and setup should bring the two lines together? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2001, 08:13 AM

Marco
Default What's the purpose of top shots?

How long should they be on Penn 80's? What brand of line? What knot and setup should bring the two lines together? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:36 AM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann
Default RE: What's the purpose of top shots?

Marco:

Are you asking about mono top shot over dacron or over spectra?

Dave
Old 02-20-2001, 10:36 AM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann

Marco:

Are you asking about mono top shot over dacron or over spectra?

Dave
Old 02-20-2001, 03:07 PM

Marco

I have always used straight mono, so could you elaborate a bit? What are the performance differences between dacron and spectra? Which is better?

That said, could you please tell me about the rest of my question?

I appreciate your time.

Marco
Old 02-20-2001, 03:07 PM

Marco

I have always used straight mono, so could you elaborate a bit? What are the performance differences between dacron and spectra? Which is better?

That said, could you please tell me about the rest of my question?

I appreciate your time.

Marco
Old 02-20-2001, 05:42 PM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann

Marco:

Dacron or spectra as a backing line with a mono top shot spooled over the top of the backing line serves a few purposes. First it is a way to cut down on the amount of mono used in re-spool a reel with new line. You only need to replace the 200 yards of mono vs. the entire reel. The top portion of reel is generally the portion that takes most of the abuse anyway. Dacron, especially a heavy waxed brands such as Cortland, packs well on a reel and allows the mono to be spliced inside the hollow core (see other posts on this board where considerable detail as been discussed) for a very clean / smooth trouble free connection. The dacron holds up for a long, long time and almost never needs changed.

Specra on the other hand due to it's very small diameter as compared to that of dacron or mono allows a tremendous amount of backing to a reel and then the mono is generally attached to the spectra backing with a loop to loop connection after forming double lines in the tag ends of both the spectra and mono top shot. I like to add a 1” section of dacron over the mono and over the spectra loops before attaching them together with a double loop to loop connection. I then serve the connection with dental tape and coat it with Aqua Seal rubber cement.

I personally like dacron as a backing as it doesn't cut an anglers hands like spectra can and I like the clean splice connection as it has never failed me. I also like dacron over spectra because it has a thicker diameter and absorbs water creating more pressure on a fish when being dragged through the water column. I am also not dead boating fish and fish big reels with a boat that can back down fast, so I don't need the extra backing (spectra) as I might if I were fishing from a dead or anchored boat. In San Diego aboard the long range sport boats the use of spectra is used extensively due to the fact that multiple anglers are fighting big tuna from an anchored boat. Also, live bait is being used and lots of yardage of spectra can be put on a smaller reel allow one to use a smaller reel aiding in casting smaller baits like sardines.

One of the main benefits of these top shots is that dacron or spectra used as backing has the advantage of being zero stretch. Zero stretch line provides the benefit of being able to exert direct pressure on a fish, however, this zero stretch can also cause hooks to pull if the drag pressure is not adjusted at the right time(s) by the angler. So the advantage of the mono top shot is that when a large fish is near the boat either on the strike, when fighting on the surface or coming to the boat for wiring, the mono will act as a cushion to keep hooks from tearing out. Cushion when near, less amount of stretch when the fish takes a lot of line off the reel is what a dacron or spectra backing with mono top shot is all about. Hope this helps.

Dave

Old 02-20-2001, 05:42 PM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann

Marco:

Dacron or spectra as a backing line with a mono top shot spooled over the top of the backing line serves a few purposes. First it is a way to cut down on the amount of mono used in re-spool a reel with new line. You only need to replace the 200 yards of mono vs. the entire reel. The top portion of reel is generally the portion that takes most of the abuse anyway. Dacron, especially a heavy waxed brands such as Cortland, packs well on a reel and allows the mono to be spliced inside the hollow core (see other posts on this board where considerable detail as been discussed) for a very clean / smooth trouble free connection. The dacron holds up for a long, long time and almost never needs changed.

Specra on the other hand due to it's very small diameter as compared to that of dacron or mono allows a tremendous amount of backing to a reel and then the mono is generally attached to the spectra backing with a loop to loop connection after forming double lines in the tag ends of both the spectra and mono top shot. I like to add a 1” section of dacron over the mono and over the spectra loops before attaching them together with a double loop to loop connection. I then serve the connection with dental tape and coat it with Aqua Seal rubber cement.

I personally like dacron as a backing as it doesn't cut an anglers hands like spectra can and I like the clean splice connection as it has never failed me. I also like dacron over spectra because it has a thicker diameter and absorbs water creating more pressure on a fish when being dragged through the water column. I am also not dead boating fish and fish big reels with a boat that can back down fast, so I don't need the extra backing (spectra) as I might if I were fishing from a dead or anchored boat. In San Diego aboard the long range sport boats the use of spectra is used extensively due to the fact that multiple anglers are fighting big tuna from an anchored boat. Also, live bait is being used and lots of yardage of spectra can be put on a smaller reel allow one to use a smaller reel aiding in casting smaller baits like sardines.

One of the main benefits of these top shots is that dacron or spectra used as backing has the advantage of being zero stretch. Zero stretch line provides the benefit of being able to exert direct pressure on a fish, however, this zero stretch can also cause hooks to pull if the drag pressure is not adjusted at the right time(s) by the angler. So the advantage of the mono top shot is that when a large fish is near the boat either on the strike, when fighting on the surface or coming to the boat for wiring, the mono will act as a cushion to keep hooks from tearing out. Cushion when near, less amount of stretch when the fish takes a lot of line off the reel is what a dacron or spectra backing with mono top shot is all about. Hope this helps.

Dave

Old 02-21-2001, 09:59 AM

Marco

Phenomenal answer. Thanks. How long should the loops be in a mono over Spectra connection?

Marco
Old 02-21-2001, 09:59 AM

Marco

Phenomenal answer. Thanks. How long should the loops be in a mono over Spectra connection?

Marco