S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Wahoo7
Default Cabo san Lucas in May

Going to Cabo May 20th 2006, looking to catch some stripped marlin, not targeting anything else. I did notice that the Rolex/IGFA Championship is the week before. Will this tournment have any impact on fishing the week after? I think its mostly a release tournament but if the marlin are fished hard, would it be a bad idea to go fishing the week after the tournement ends?
Also does anyone have a charter to reccomend?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 03:32 AM

Captain Fred Archer
Default RE: Cabo san Lucas in May

Brian,

Don't worry about fishing a week after the Rolex. Cabo has a fleet of over two hundred charterboats, so whether there was a tournament the previous week (and the Rolex is a small one compared to the ones in the Fall) or not, fishing pressure remains pretty constant there.

Actually, it is my guess that the fishing is going to be really tough for the tournament. It is taking place during a full moon phase and that, or the new moon is the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. You will be fishing the week approaching the new moon, not usually bad and I would plan to fish on the day or days before the new moon, which happens on the twenty-seventh.

Be sure to pick a good boat that will run wherever the fish are. Nutter Omar's Wild Dorado is one. The Picante Fleet is also an excellent choice. Both are at the higher end pricewise of Cabo charterboats, but "getting what you pay for" has become even more important than it used to be now that the commercials are doing on number on that fishery. You also might want to check out Chuck Baker's Tail Chaser and Checkmate for lower cost boats that are still top notch. Lalo, the captain of Tailchaser is like Meme, Wild Dorado's skipper - both are among the Cabo Cream and wonderful people and both boats (plus Checkmate) are owned by gringo fishermen who tell their crews, "Go where the fish are; forget about the fuel."

Good luck and I hope this helped some.

(I'm glad to hear that you are going to leave my wahoos alone!)
Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 PM

Wahoo7

>Brian,
>
>Don't worry about fishing a week after the Rolex. Cabo has
>a fleet of over two hundred charterboats, so whether there
>was a tournament the previous week (and the Rolex is a small
>one compared to the ones in the Fall) or not, fishing
>pressure remains pretty constant there.
>
>Actually, it is my guess that the fishing is going to be
>really tough for the tournament. It is taking place during
>a full moon phase and that, or the new moon is the kiss of
>death as far as I'm concerned. You will be fishing the week
>approaching the new moon, not usually bad and I would plan
>to fish on the day or days before the new moon, which
>happens on the twenty-seventh.
>
>Be sure to pick a good boat that will run wherever the fish
>are. Nutter Omar's Wild Dorado is one. The Picante Fleet
>is also an excellent choice. Both are at the higher end
>pricewise of Cabo charterboats, but "getting what you pay
>for" has become even more important than it used to be now
>that the commercials are doing on number on that fishery.
>You also might want to check out Chuck Baker's Tail Chaser
>and Checkmate for lower cost boats that are still top notch.
> Lalo, the captain of Tailchaser is like Meme, Wild Dorado's
>skipper - both are among the Cabo Cream and wonderful people
>and both boats (plus Checkmate) are owned by gringo
>fishermen who tell their crews, "Go where the fish are;
>forget about the fuel."
>
>Good luck and I hope this helped some.
>
>(I'm glad to hear that you are going to leave my wahoos
>alone!)

Thanks for the reply Capt. Archer. Do you have any links to those sites of those boats? Looking to charter a boat for 3 days and Im on a budget so less than $600 tops. Does anyone else have any good boats to reccomend? Or bad ones to stay away from?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:57 PM

MNAC Member
LuckyDrew

There's a 34' Radovich on A Dock in hole #1, right hand side. Sweet boat with a great captain and 2 mates. That boat can be had for $600 a day, the captain sleeps on the boat and is there all the time, I'd for sure recommend that boat, I just can't remember the name. Fred, Bob or Dave may know and pipe in. The other one in that range is Guerita II, never fished it but I did fish with the captains brother Eligio on a private Cabo, and the guy and his family just know their chit. They are from Mazatlan and are very talented. The boat is owned by a lady I get emails from a lot, and I think it's 33" twin D Crystaliner. WWW.gueritasportfishing.com

Drew
Old 12-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Captain Fred Archer

Guerita is a good one. Captain Efren comes highly recommended by our Brit brothers, one of whom, Jon Peterson has taught him quite a lot. Jackie is the owner and she's a hot sketch. Nice lady. You might want to bring along some SuperBars. Jackie was trying to get me to sell her some for the boat while I was down there the last time (and after a three, 68 - 97# wahoo on bars trip on a three hour ride on a Mex bud's panga) and then wanted to raid Jon Peterson and Roger Bradbury's bags of bars that I left down there for them when they come back in December, saying that Jon was fishing Guerita a bunch of times, as usual, and so why not let her take the bars and....it didn't work. The bottom line is that fishing is getting tough down there and you need everything that you can have going for you if you want to catch fish.

Wild Dorado is a great boat and like the one that follows carries a full compliment of bars and the crew knows how to use them, but unfortunately, they are beyond your budget. A great ride if you can afford it, though.

http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48...orado_Meme.jpg

Captain Meme aboard my boat with a nice dorado.

http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48...wahoos-med.jpg

Meme on my boat again with some bar 'hoo's'

One great boat that is in your price range and that you won't have to bring your own bars and ballyhoo's and cleat planers and teasers and such to use is Chuck Baker's Tailchaser with Captain Lalo, not a good, but a spectacular captain. Lalo brings the best of the Mazatlan fishermen with many decades of Cabo experience, plus some very extensive training on pure professional international techniques. Rather than go on about this boat and her captain, my advice is to Google up Checkmate Sportfishing (I think it is) and see if you can't book Tailchaser. Unfortunately for you, Tailchaser is a highly sought after charterboat and it will probably be tough to get the dates that you would like, but it certainly is worth a try.

http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48...oo_in_boat.jpg

Captain Lalo (the one with the gaff) with a wahoo.

As far as the Rado mentioned above, that is Dick Landfield's old boat, Reel Affair. It is under new ownership now and I am not even sure if it is a licensed charterboat? I'd zero in on Guerita and Tailchaser if I were you.

Hope this helped.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:17 PM

MNAC Member
LuckyDrew

Reel Affair it is. It's been 3 years since I rode her and at the time Dick had already sold her, to a fellow Californian. Last year she was chartered in several of the tourneys so I suspect she's properly licensed to charter. But I'd say you have several good ones to work with. Drew
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 PM

Captain Fred Archer

Drew,

Yup, that's her. She has a great history, including having the legandary Daniel as her captain for many years. She was not a charterboat back in those days. Unless things have changed, charter licenses were impossible to acquire even before Dick sold her because the Port Captain felt that there were already too many charterboats...what a concept, eh? The only way to charter legally is to slide in under someone else's permit and maybe that was done.

The fact that a lot of boats get chartered for the tournaments is merely a function of the authorities turning their backs to non permitted boats doing that, so the fact that a given boat is chartered for tournaments does not mean that they are a regular charterboat.

The name of the boat has not (to my knowledge) been changed, so it should be an easy matter to Google them up and find out. No website, no permit.

I would love to do a few days on Tailchaser with you sometime, Drew. You'd love her. She's a 33 Blackfin, the fishing is 100% standup, Lalo really knows his stuff and is just a great guy. The boat is very busy though. He fished 256 days last year. Chuck Baker, the owner, adds about fifty trips a year to that total. Busy!

Old 12-09-2005, 01:40 PM

Wahoo7

The Checkmate looks like a great deal. Have any of you guys fished this boat? Looks like its run by the same people the run tailchaser.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:20 PM

MNAC Member
Omar

Know the boat well. Good Capt. and crew. Have caught plenty of fish on Checkmate. They're on the same dock as we are. Good Luck.

The Reel Affair is not in the water anymore.

Omar
www.alluresportfishing.com
Old 12-10-2005, 07:16 AM

Captain Fred Archer

Thanks for the heads up on Reel Affair, Omar. Checkmate and Tailchaser are owned by the same man, Chuck Baker. Checkmate is a thirty one Bert and Tailchaser a thirty-three Blackfin. And yes, that magnificent, brand new Black Watch of Omars is down almost to the end of the same dock that the others are on. Even if she is outside of your budget, make sure that you stop by, check her out and meet Captain Meme. And remember, if you can, book Tailchaser. Checkmate is a very good boat and Lalo's brother is the captain, but Tailchaser and Lalo are flat - out spectacular.

Have a great trip (but leave my wahoos alone, please!)