S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 03:12 PM

SCMO Expert
PacoSaca will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Accurate or Tiagra ?

http://members.cox.net/davidrenner/avet.jpg
[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="2"]Avet...??? where...??? I see no Avet there... only thing I see is a BOOTIFUL Big Reidee ;)

http://mywebsite.register.com/db2/00...ages/signa.gif
[font color=white face=verdana]....[font color=navy]Paco Saca
[font color=white]....[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="1"]Life's Short, Fish hard...

Never judge the success or failure of your fishing in seconds, minutes, hours, days or even years - but rather by a lifetime of experiences.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:13 PM

MNAC Member
rjakana
Default SHIMANO'S, ACCURATES, ........which is the best?

>Now REELy......I'm so confused. Here we have respected names in the fishing world arguing about which brand reel is the best. I've only used PENN Senator's and Internationals before. When I went fishing with Pa Pa and Paco, the boats that we rode used SHIMANO's.......pretty reels. Since we didn't catch anything worth mentioning......I can't really say how well the reel performed. I've only SEEN an ACCURATE behind a glass case at MELTON's and at another fishing store in Hilo.

I'll make this offer. Since I'm so confused as to which brand is better and respect all the posters on this site, I'll make the SACRIFICE of volunteering to accept both an ACCURATE and SHIMANO reel to judge for myself. Please (someone) send me a 130 of each type for Christmas along with a custom rod.....triple wrapped unlimited blank. Please fill with 130 JINKAI or similar line and also send your BEST LURES.

I promise to do an unbiased review of each reel. }>

Aloha,

Old 04-20-2006, 05:34 AM

Mikey Mike is on a distinguished road

Aloha!
All BS and BRs aside.

I fished in the Marshall Islands for 5 years with Shimano reels and never had a problem fishing year round.

I sent 4- 80s to Hono with a friends reel piggy backing, to get new drag washers and "service them". Hell I never opened them so I didn't know what to expect as far as a bill.

A month latter I got the reels back and looked at the statement. I was carged 20 bucks for each reel and the other reel was charged 79 dollars because it needed extensive cleaning

How many months are in a season? I dunno?
All I know is my Shimano reels never failed me

As far as a super grease that prevents saltwater intrusion,,,Thats just plain silly. The salt will dry in the greese and eventually turn to cement...yer gonna havta keep replacing da grease

I think when ya get yer boat you'll learn that fixen reels is sumthin ya no longer have time fo'

Mikey

THIS SPACE FOR RENT. SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY

I wonder how deep the ocean would be without any sponges.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler
Default SHIMANO'S, ACCURATES, ALVEYS........which best

:9
Nice one, Ron !
I am also available for that sort of test, but it might take me a decade to get enough on-the-water time to really be sure about them

so that's
Accurate
Shimano
Penn V
and I'm prepared to accept
Alutecnos
Alvey (well, why not ?)
Hardy Zane Grey (if you can prise one out of the security cage in the museums)
Avet (when they bring out an 80 or 130 size)

talking of that last thing, have you noticed they brought to market a T-RX 30 (80# drag). Someone tell Fred and we'll see if he puts a couple of hundred yards of 300# line on one and does some more 'stunt' fishing (Boss - style) to some poor Marlin ! }>

P.S. for "your BEST LURES", you may ....of course... substitute the legendary Black Reidee ! :9 :P ;)
Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 AM

SCMO Expert
Capt. Bart Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

[font color="navy" face="book antiqua" size="4"][i][b] Check it out guys, you're both welcome to use my pond, doodle away, you & your spacey friend. je je je je je je je je
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/alterego.jpg
Papa O-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ubberducky.jpg
Indians on the assembly line, percentages, nanos, quantum realities, oh my!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...bart/alien.jpg
Cement every where, were all going to turn into cement. This space for rent.

[b][i]captbartmiller@blackbartlures.com
Old 04-20-2006, 10:16 AM

MNAC Member
rjakana
Default RE: SHIMANO'S, ACCURATES, ALVEYS........which best

Aloha Roger,

"Someone tell Fred and we'll see if he puts a couple of hundred yards of 300# line on one and does some more 'stunt' fishing (Boss - style) to some poor Marlin !"

A friend of mine mentioned the exact same thing during the 1970's (dating myself) yet they used that setup for catching ahi. He said the commercial guys out of Haleiwa would use PENN 16/0's and fill them with 300# line and catch ahi like that.

With respect to using the "legendary Black Reidee".....I'm afraid that I can't. Paco SAT ON IT and damaged the propellor. It hasn't run proper ever since.
:-(

Aloha,
Old 04-20-2006, 01:29 PM

SCMO Expert
Peter Pakula is an unknown quantity at this point

Enough red herrings and integrity checks Bart. Back to the subject please.

Bart how many fish have you caught as an angler using Accurrate?

I've personally caught many Marlin on Tiagras. The Animal had a single set of Tiagras including 16's, 50's 50W and 80. In 8 years we caught over 300 fish, mostly marlin most fished hard at sunset ie 50 to 80% drag many were 10/1 captures. In the 8 years no reels were replaced and none were serviced. Early on we checked the drags every time we went out which I recommend all do, but for the last 5 years we didn't bother checking the drags every time we went out, just once a season or perhaps to show someone how to check drags or when we spooled fresh line. Reels were hosed to wash, and covered in detergent and hosed off.

Could someone expect to be able to do that with confidence using Accurrate reels?

There are many stories of guys who tried Accurates and no longer use them which I'd be happy to discuss. There are very few similar stories about Tiagras.

There are many guys that love the design and features of Accurrate reels and wished they'd be reliable. There are several who will go through the routine of stripping a reel nightly and then return the reels to the shop for a full overhall after EVERY trip.

As a retailer can you tell us the difference in % of profit selling a Tiagra and an Accurrate? Perhaps this is the reason for pushing the barrow as it certainly isn't the case that reel for reel, fish for fish you'd choose anything on the market today purely based on Performance and Reliability that isn't a Tiagra.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:18 PM

Wahoo7
Default Duel?

What about Duels? I like the drag curve in them. But have not used mine enough
Old 04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
JC

JC

I dont have any experience with Accurates...

Ive tried Penns and Tiagras and Tiagras get my vote...

they just feel right... solid and smooth...

But Like I said..I have never tested an Acurate...

JC
Old 04-20-2006, 10:40 PM

SCMO Expert
Keith Poe

Accurates are so much better it's like comparing fishing to working.
No contest.

Life's journey is not about what you acquire but who you become.

PO Box 2056
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
310-562-6205
www.sharktagger.com
sharktagger@sbcglobal.net