S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 02:36 PM

SCMO Expert
Peter Pakula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New Penns

In response to a similar thread Penns V Shimano on my site I rang a two of the largest Austrlain stores. The deal I proposed was that if someone bought a Penn and wasn't happy with it they could return it for a credit on another reel. The first shop said no, that they hadn't sold a Pennn for ages and they should just get a Tiagra and that out of the thousands sold he had never had one returned to the shop for any reason.

The second shop said they'd be happy to sell the guy a Tiagra and if he wasn't happy with that he could bring it back for a credit.

There are some guys using the new Penns, so far without any problems at all.

For any reel to crack the Australian Market dominance of Shimano they will have to come up with more than a reel that is just as good as a Tiagra and even if it's cheaper they'll need more incentive to do so.

Perhaps a Reel Shootout would work, or perhaps somethiong else. ie a free BTL CD was given away with each Tiagra for a long time. They certainly had a lot of CD's.

Perhaps a series of promoted lectures or the chance to get into a major tourney fishing with a legend or something.

There are lots of great reels on the Market. I've just put a Okuma V55S Spinning reel through its paces catching 50 Mackeral and 10 Tuna spinning metal lures in a day (all on wonderfull head cam video) and the reel went perfectly through some tortuous abusing use. Will it ever get the market share it deserves?

Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 AM

Andaman Andy

>[font color="navy" face="book antiqua" size="4"][i][b] Aloha
>Andy,
>I can't say I blame you one damn bit, I'd feel the same.
>
>What I have done is send a personal letter directly to the
>president of Acccurate, I guarantee it won't take long to
>set matters straight. Your Boss reel will perform as
>designed, hopefully you will be able to fish your Boss reel
>with the same confidense as so many other satisfied
>customers of Accurate products.
>
>Papa O-)
>
>
>
>
>[b][i]captbartmiller@blackbartlures.com

Update on reel,
Received email from Accurate (David Nilsen) not long after last post, asking for my name so they may track the service record, Thursday 11th May.

Sent my name and service record was tracked.

David sent me an email back on Monday 15th May stating that the drag had been tested at the factory and was ok, David invited me to send the reel in again so he may take a look at it, he also recommended sending the reel back every year for a service.

I replied to David stating that I tested the reel on a rod as soon as I got it back last time, the rod tip bounced.
Knowing it had been factory serviced it and speaking To the service dept on the phone to describe the exact problem, I thought It must be me.
I took it along on my next fishing trip to Phuket and got the jerky drag on the first Skipjack so i retired it.
I also stated that I was not that happy about sending it back to califoria from the UK again as the last time I did that it came back the same, but said that I would send it back for exchange for a new one and give the brand another try.
Other than that, I would Ebay it and put it down to experience.

As of today, I have not recived a reply.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler

.......so i retired it.
>I also stated that I was not that happy about sending it
>back to califoria from the UK again as the last time I did
>that it came back the same, but said that I would send it
>back for exchange for a new one and give the brand another
>try.
>Other than that, I would Ebay it and put it down to
>experience.
>
>As of today, I have not recived a reply.

Andy

Even if you did not buy it via them, it may be worth contacting Rok-Max (Pat & Paul Bowers) in Truro.
They are helpful and , with agreement from David Nilsen, may be able to service it in the U.K. or at least save you some part of the shipping costs.

I too had problems with my first Boss reels' drag range (still don't know what the underlying cause was) but Accurate & Rok-Max looked after me and also I have read only good about them since and am now actually considering getting my 665 modified (with additional anti-reverse strength) so I can use it with 60lb spectra for "heavy" jigging.
I must confess I don't send them in every year but feel they do not get enough use to justify that cost.

Must get out more ! (fishing);)
Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 AM

Andaman Andy

Roger

As far as i'm aware Rok-max have stopped selling Accurate reels, They had some on a close-out sheet i was sent and they no longer feature on their website.
Thanks for the info though:)
Old 05-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler

Dagnabbit ! You're right !

could still be worth ringing Paul or Pat for advice, just in case it saves on sending abroad.

Shame plankton has decamped to far, far away (not that we could bother him with servicing anyway - he is "just" an adviser / technical consultant to Accurate .... a bit like Bart but not so pretty - grin ! :P )

Ho hum. If I hear about anyone like "the Reel Doctor" in the U.K. dealing with Accurate reel 'niggles'....or routine servicing... I shall let you know.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Chief potato-peeler

Location: West coast of the old world, land of cognac and the mighty maigre
SCMO Expert
plankton is on a distinguished road

Andy,

Try talking to Russ Symons at russ@reelfoto.com. He's based in Plymouth and is a UK Accurate contact. I would think he will be able to help you out.

Roddy

www.legendlures.com

Old 05-18-2006, 11:27 PM

Andaman Andy

Thank you Roddy, I have Just emailed him.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:37 PM

Andaman Andy
Default RE: New Penns/ UPDATE

David from Accurate reels emailed me this morning, apologised for the delay in getting back to me, as he had been away, and is exchanging my reel with a new one.
You cannot say fairer than that! Looking forward to giving the BOSS another go! :)
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 AM

MNAC Member
UKChris
Default RE: New Penns/ UPDATE

I'm just passing on a comment that Adrian Mulloy made last year (or was it '04) when we were marooned on mahogany reef awaiting the chance to take a crack at the giant bluefin of Donnegal, Ireland:

Shimanos are good - very nice, smooth drag.
Duels are good - but the drag is not as smooth as Shimano unless warmed up first (important point in the cold of an Irish autumn).
The best reels I had were the 14/0 Everols - I had two till I sold them but wish I still had them. Very smooth drag, and simple. Nothing much for the angler to fiddle with!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 AM

Jon Petterssen
Default RE: Accurate or Tiagra ?

Whew some thread.

Danny draw your own conclusions from folks who have been in the position to use these reels under pressure.Some who swear by Tiagras will not have used Accurates but for sure they would not be using Tiagras any more if they had serious problems with them you can bet on it.This cuts both ways as current Accurate users will point you in the same direction.

Many of these reels never get to reach anywhere near breaking point especially mine LOL.It is the guys who personally put their gear under real heat many days a season who I have listened to and bought my gear accordingly within a budget I could afford.You are chartering so will need to make a decision and probably already have.Not sure where you fish but much of my blue water gear/reels have been purchased based of the formula I have given with my source being anglers who fish Mexican waters a lot more than I have the chance to.Their advice has served me well.I have an array of makes already mentioned here and I am happy with them.By the same token they are not out there all day every day.I will say my Tiagras did work right out of the box and behave as Pete says.My mid range Duels with a couple bumped to fish 80 like a warm up as Chris says and do not like humidity so need to check them if they feel sticky but lovely when they are on song.I have some Penns too an old immaculate 50wide and a later generation 16s and I am not about to give these away either.Many of these were bought before I know anything about Accurate reels and I know very little about them except what I read plus in all honesty I was happy with reels I was using.

I do have a buddy in England who had a lot of problems with an early Accurate Boss purchased from Rok Max in England and it was a nightmare straight out of the box and even after being returned it came back the same and he sold it for 50 quid in the end but it would seem most makers have a few gliches as they go.

As a conclusion I have seen Tiagras in Mexico abused to the point of no return and how they still work I wonder.Crews or their helpers jet dockside hoses into them with the drags open and all kinds of other hell they go through and they still work.Not as I would like but they still work....

Buena pesca Jon;)