S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 07:42 PM

danny
Default Accurate or Tiagra ?

Hi All,
I am new to this forum having just been referred to it.
Looks like a great place to talk and learn from fellow fish maniacs so i will shoot with my first question.

I am in the position after doing plenty of charters now to finally buy my own gear to target Marlin, yellowfin,wahoo and other species of the humungous persuasion.
And i wanted to get some feedback as to whether to buy Tiagra's (which i have used before and i like ) or Accurate's line of reels, I have not used these but from what is written about them they seem like they are pretty awesome.

I guess we all have our favs but maybe some of you have had experience with both of these brands and can tell me the pros and cons and i guess it is more the Accurate reels that i am needing some critique for as i don't have first hand experience with them.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 PM

MNAC Member
LuckyDrew
Default RE: Accurate or Tiagra ?

Not sure I fully understood you. Are you saying that this gear will be used for a charter business that you are about to establish? Or that this will be personal gear for charters in quest of big fish? Kinda makes a difference. Let us know where you'll be fishing and exactly what you'll be targeting.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:01 PM

danny

The gear is for personal use, I will be getting boat built soon and it is for targeting marlin, tuna etc off cabo and central america.
Like i mentioned i am familiar with Tiagras and so i was automatically going to set my boat up with these but i have recently been seeing alot of advertising for the Accurate reels and wanted to get feedback on them as i don't have first hand experience with them.
It will be for tackle both stand up from 30# to chair and sit down 80# gear and so maybe you know of how the Accurate perform since they are very pricey but if they are a better reel then i would certainly consider them.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:12 PM

fishon26

PENN!
You need to add Penn to your list. Their 30 and 50 VSW with their new Dura Drag and ratcheting lever arm are extremely smooth and will hold your line in your set strike position even on a heavy lure trolling.
The 70's are a great fit for stand-up or chair if you need just a little more line capacity than a 50, we use our on the shotgun or long rigger postions becaause of the extra line.
Their new 16's are just awesome, especially the vsx version designed for use with braid line, you can get around 350+ yards of braid with a long top shot of mono, I have friends who where catching 125+ bluefin tuna on these last summer with no problems. Great new reel I can't wait for mine to arrive.
And you can feel good as you will be buying in America!

Accurates are top notch, you definetly get what you pay for there.
my 2 cents,
JW
Old 04-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Captain Fred Archer

I have fished a lot of both the older Penns and a full selection of Accurates on my charterboat in Cabo, one of the venues that you are considering. I averaged over three hundred days per year on the water for many years and we accounted for a huge number of the many pelagic species found there in mind-boggling numbers before the tuna purse seine fleet expanded and the longliners came.

The history was that I started out with the Penns, but before long began using Accurates, who I began consulting for from their first day of business onward to today. That is all well and good, but they know, as do others who know me, that I would, will and do use the best tackle on my boats, no matter who makes it or who I have a business relationship with. My services on the reel side involve design issues, not marketing ones, because a marketing relationship would mean that I would be honor-bound to use one brand whatever only and I don't want that.

I switched over completely to the Accurates because they were the best. At first, this was in comparison to Penn's old standards of fairly reliable reels that performed adequately but not outstandingly. They also required a fair amount of consistent maintenance that we were all used to from many years of using them. They had a good parts availability program and the reels were easy to work on. Still, as you will discover, tackle maintenance is a major buggaboo for a hard working, frequently fishing charter operation. The Accurates were far superiour in that regard, so they got the nod. In the not-so-long run, they became more economical because of their lack of time-consuming and expensive repairs.

As a footnote, I avoid using offshore products, especially by major longline fleet operating and longline fish consuming nations in favor of products made here in the USA. This has become more and more of an issue for me based on what has been happening within U.S businesses and the massive loss of jobs to overseas locations. Of course, this means that I do not use Shimano reels in spite of having developed many of them. I do study and analyze them for one of my clients, but I do not fish with them. From this I have a good knowledge of what has been done to and with the previous designs and do not consider most of it solid engineering, but rather costing down and marketing boners like eight drag cams for thirty pound reels. That sort of stuff is a marketing ploy, not a design advance.

I believe that the Accurates exist at a level of their own. I am intimately aware of the ongoing, high quality engineering effort that goes on within that company and can say for a fact that it is relentless and top shelf. Things like being able to have ones reels returned to the factory once a year for a complete, free tune-up and in many cases, free upgrades are terrific, cost saving, angler-friendly programs by a company that knows the quality its products and is willing to extend this type of service to back it up.

While all of this was going on, Penn was going to hell on a hobby horse. Unbeknownst to all but a few insiders, the previous management could not deal with the new competitive environment that required that they make major investments in equipment and engineering talent. Instead the entire internal organization went into a holding pattern while they frantically searched for a buyer that resulted in great deterioration of their products and services. The facts are that had the new owners not bought the company when they did, Penn was in great danger of going under.

That was the past. The new ownership is quality people who demand excellence and who get it, no matter the cost. Prime examples are the 70V and the two versions of the 16's that they have introduced and that someone else on this thread is so enthusiastic about. All three are solid, high quality, well designed reels. In fact, I pay the 16's the highest compliment that I could ever give a reel - it is what I would have taken the TLD 2 Speeds to had I remained at Shimano. I'll leave it at that.

As I see it, the Accurates are still the best big game reels out there, while acknowledging that they are justifiably expensive and not within everyone's budget. If they are too much for some of us, I see the next step down where quality and performance are still there aplenty as being Penn and Shimano, both of which are at very similar price points. In my case, my "Buy American" attitude makes the decision between the two easy for me and the vast improvements in the 70's and 16's mean that I am getting some truly outstanding reels as far as my 30, 50 and 80# reels are concerned.

All three of those reels have earned spots on our north and south boats and have performed flawlessly for almost a year and a half now.

That has been my experience with the reels in question. I hope that it helped some and I wish you success with your new boat and the charter business. Prepare to work like a dog, make wonderful Mexican friends who will make your heart sing, develop a following of wondeful clients and howl at the big blue ones while you thunder back at them in wonder and unbridaled excitement. Be the very best that you can be, bring honor to the profession and know that you will have the great privilege of living many other fishermen's dream. Cherish it.

And may The Fire burn in you too, my friend. You will know it when it consumes you.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:55 PM

stuart

Fred

I agree the accurate reels are nice piece of engineering; however they have some series problems that need attending to. I don’t want to sound as though I’m bagging the reel, quite the opposite in fact. I would much prefer the Accurate over many other reels but I find I can no longer use them because of serious faults. No 1, their needs to be a seal in between the lip of the spool and the housing to stop saltwater intrusion or at least curve it a bit. Or make the tolerances very fine indeed. 2, the drag plats become easily covered in salt after two or even three big days of fishing.

I have not fished in America and what I’m saying is based on experience in Australia. This has not been a one of occurrence either, their has been many reels suffer the same fate here.

Stuart
Australia

Old 04-17-2006, 04:32 PM

crusty

tiagra all the way

Old 04-17-2006, 08:08 PM

danny

Thanks, Capt'n Fred and others for the advice
I certainly like the idea of supporting american made products and from what i have seen on their website and now hearing it first hand from Capt'n Fred it sounds like Accurate make a first class product.
I am interested in the response to the reels letting in saltwater between the lip of the spool and the housing as this sounds like it could be a maintainance nightmare waiting to happen.
But again i can only go by the referrals of others that know the product better than I and so i do very much appreciate advice and knowledge passed from those of you who have spent many many hrs on the water putting these products through their paces.
Thanks again guys:)
Old 04-17-2006, 09:25 PM

MNAC Member
LuckyDrew

Let me address the issue. First, Stuart is right, there are water intrusion problems. However, it can be avoided. The intrusion only will occur when there is drag applied. When the reel is in freespool is when there is a seal that prevents the wash onto the drags, etc. This is completely backwards of what we've grown accustomed to with Tiagras and Penns, and why some of us had to figure this out on our own is another story. The ATD's are beautiful reels, are perfect for stand-up guys like myself and the smoothest drags on the planet. But, if you're gonna fish a reel hard, and you're not going to baby it, then Tiagras are hard to beat. They're heavy, but they can take a beating. The Penns crap out too much, and while they're easy to fix the parts are 10 times the cost of what they were 4 years ago, and they're a little harder to come by than before. The new duradrag system is supposed to be pretty good too, and chances are I may replace the drags in my tiagras with those duradrags for the coming season. And fwiw, I own all three. 5 ATD 30-50's, 8 tiagra 50-80's, and 8 International 2 speeds 50-80. By far my favorite Penn is the 70, the perfect size reel imo. And they've all been modified by Cal or COFE for heavier drag and better freespool.
If you're going to treat the reels like a princess, get the Accurates. If you're going to fish em and forget em, get the Tiagras. If you're Mr Handyman, get the Penns, and to perform preventative maintenance and juice their performance get the Penns and Tiagras modified by Cal or COFE. Drew
Old 04-17-2006, 11:50 PM

danny

Thanks Drew,
Great to get such really informative feedback
I am grateful, Pretty sure now that I will get the Accurates.
Yes i will treat them like a princess,I look after my gear, but yes i will also fish them hard and hope that they stand up to it, which it sounds like they should.

:)