S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Trip Reporter
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Trip Reporter

Trip Reporter Tell us the details of your recent offshore trips - successful or not!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2000, 11:22 PM
James Bygrave
Anonymous Bosh

Default BIGEYE down south !!

Fished the Blue Porpoise Marine Fishoff competition on Sat. Andrew, Mike and I left Mission Bay @ 12.00. I put the lines out just above the Banda @ 5.45am & @ 6.00 had a jig strike - I thought this was going to be a bigeye but it proved to be a better grade yft of 30lbs. Water temp was 69.4. Unfortunately nothing more came of that stop. After catching and releasing tonnage of football yfts around the "peanut" bank I decided to head to the 295/220 banks via the 238 spot. There were a few privates fishing the 238 but no action for us apart from a double on the peanuts even though I was trolling marlin jigs. About 1.00 pm (on or near the tide change) I came across a good weed line and temp break (69.8 - 70.5). After following the line for 1/4 hr one reel started screeming then another then another. I knew from the pitch of the cliker sound that these were no peanuts. As the first was landed (about 80lbs) I noticed free swimmers!! In the heat of the moment we all forgot to chum!. Once we did things went crazy. We landed 4 bait fish (to 98.5lbs). The big one I caught 10ft from the boat whilst skipping a sardine back to the boat...totally awesome!!!! We ended up with 7 fish from 80 to 98.5 for 3 anglers. Well we won the tuna division and we all need Vicodin!! Oh the coordinates were 31.31 117.05....
This was a trip of a life-time...
James "Lucky Strike"
Old 09-18-2000, 05:13 AM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default RE: BIGEYE down south !!

Outstanding job, James! We had heard there were some big ones lurking down south - this is the proof! Send us the pics and we'll put 'em up in La Galeria.

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.