S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Trip Reporter
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Trip Reporter

Trip Reporter Tell us the details of your recent offshore trips - successful or not!

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM

MNAC Member
Wild John
Default RE: Madeira - 2009

Thanks Dustin!
I won't suggest that you do anything that flies in the face of popular opinion, but I for one would like to commend your reports for their (relative) objectivity as well as for being an overall ambasador for Madiera and the fishery. I can think of nothing that you have written over the past few years that has done anything to thwart my desire to fish in Madeira- in fact I almost got here thanks to your advice in 2001.
So, you a note of thanks and encouragement to keep reporting as often as your fingers and conscience allow.
Best-
Wild John
PS- I don't know anyone who is fishing as often as they'd like to right now, including the guys with the shiny new Vikings.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Madeira - 2009

I'm on the island right now. It's a funny feeling knowing that this will be the 10th year I've fished in Madeira. How time flies. It really doesn't seem that long ago in my mind, that first day of that first season, chugging out the harbour and out into the Funchal grounds. But there is no doubt that since then a whole lot of water has passed under the bridge. There have been changes both in the charter industry and in the fishing, some for the better, some for the worse.

I thought long and hard about posting reports. Nowadays all the boats have their own websites, which wasn't the case when I started reporting, and it is probably best to let them report whatever they think best to report. No matter what you write there will be (and have been) folks that are/were unhappy with it. I also want to report for the benefit of anglers who will visit the island and charter a local boat instead of planning to come over in a shiny 50 foot Viking. This year will be difficult, it will be difficult for all of us but if you depend on people being prepared to spend money on going fishing to pay your bills, it will be especially tough. The irony is that last year the fishing was very good and it looks as though this season may be good as well, but it may be harder to catch anglers than fish.

Basically what is happening right now is that bigeye tunas are around, but clients are not. There are very few charters being made and almost all are half day trips which makes it even harder to find a decent area and stay on it until they bite.

The weather onshore is pretty variable with periods of bright sunshine interspersed with sometimes quite intense rain showers. It is actually nicer at sea, and today the sea conditions at times reminded me of summer - slick calm with rippling current lines. I must admit the grounds looked pretty promising. Corey shearwaters are around and we found them in smallish groups working on bait balls forced to the surface by small pods of common dolphin. Right at the end of our half day trip on the OUR MARY today we saw an area of scattered sitters that was maybe 100 or so strong, right on marks on the harbour ground where we have caught tuna in previous years, hmmm. The tuna being caught by commercials right now are the typical spring size, 20 to 40 lbs. Although I must admit that when Jose Serrao told me this morning that "we're going to fish light tackle today because the tunas around are so small" I really did think he was tempting fate...

Ocean colour is still greenish, quite so in places but that is normal for this time of year and tuna don't mind nor indeed the white marlin that are likely to start showing in April. The free floating Velella velella were here and there and I was surprised to see a little hawksbill today.

I don't expect to be making reports as consistently as in previous years for a variety of reasons, but am happy to help with enquiries.

cheers - dustin
Old 04-17-2009, 06:23 AM

Default RE: Mid-April

17/4/09: I thought I'd check up on what was happening over the Easter period which often sees some good tuna fishing. As it turned out, the couple of boats that found charters over the Easter holiday didn't have a great deal of success but conditions continue to look very encouraging. Good blue water is being reported outside and commercial tuna boats are catching good numbers of bigeye tuna in the 30-40 kg class not too far away from Madeira island. The guys I spoke to both reported seeing a lot of baitfish and feel confident that when tuna move into the area the abundance of feed is likely to hold them for a while. I'll cautiously stick out my neck and predict that the coming new moon may see some fish.

Jose Serrao on the OUR MARY spotted one or two small billfish, the first outrunners of the white marlin and Atlantic spearfish that most years trickle through our area from now on through the summer, finning on the surface a couple days ago, but could not get a bite out of them. This also is likely to change as the season develops, and from now until the blue marlin fishing starts in earnest there can be some interesting fishing opportunities, sometimes at off-season charter rates, for both tuna and billfish on tackle ranging from medium to light. If anyone out there is interested in trying for whites and spearfish in May, please let me know, as I'd be delighted to help out on deck and a second experienced hand in the pit can sometimes be an advantage. In most years the majority of small billfish tend to be white marlin and hatchet marlin aka roundscale spearfish, but there is normally also a decent chance of raising longbill spearfish. Madeira is one of the better places in the Atlantic for finding both species of Atlantic spearfish.

cheers - Dustin

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM

MNAC Member
oliver is on a distinguished road
Default Blue In Town!

Had a quick call to Peter Bristow tonight, and on top of telling me about how busy he is when I want to fish, he did mention that one of the whale watching cats that was out today had a positive sighting of the first blue of the season. No less than a fish in the 800 class that swam right up to the back of the boat. Now lets find some clients to go catch em!

Ollie
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Our Mary blue marlin hookup

9/5/09: Normally the first blue marlin of the season tends to show up in the first week of May. I was wondering when it would happen this year when on Thursday the OUR MARY hooked one up. Unfortunately it came straight for a little skirted lure in the stinger bait on 30 lb stand up tackle and although Jose started turning almost immediately after seeing the bite and the first two jumps - "I knew the moment I saw it jump that we were going to need a whole lot of luck" - the fish dragged off enough line into the water to break it. He said it was a nice fish too. Sorry old chap!

Windy the last couple of days so our typical consistent summer conditions have not quite set in yet, but there are quite a few of the larger summer baitfish around - skipjack and school dorado (the reason Jose had the little lure out there). Inshore the mackerel ring net fleet is reportedly taking a lot of big mackerel up to over 1 kg. That's a great sign for the upcoming (or should that be ongoing?) blue marlin season and so is the fact that apparently very few white marlin or spearfish have shown up thus far.

cheers - dustin
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 AM

TracyM
Default RE: Our Mary blue marlin hookup/Grander Report

Dustin,

How the time flies! I have been fishing Madeira since 1994. To say it's my favorite fishing destination on the planet is an understatement. We just moved Grander back from Lanzarotte in the Canaries to Madeira last week. It was a hard move as the reports out of Gomera are excellent with some really nice fish. Melton Tackle customer Soren Jensen weighed an 1185lb. blue last week in Gomera on a Polukai XL-Tubulation! Congratst to Soren and Randy Takushi from Polukai. What makes it even better is that Soren pulled hooks on another fish that day that he is calling 1000-1100lbs.! Not a bad day. Day before they T/R 3 blues between 600-850. Pretty good 2 days by anyones standard.

Madeira in early June can be hit or miss but history has shown it's a good time to get a shot at a really big fish. I am heading over soon and can't wait to see how this season is shaping up.

We are based down in Calheta marina so if anyone is around please do stop by for a beer and to say hello.

Tracy
Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Tracy, you're always lucky in Madeira. I was going through my notes from 2002 season which included the couple blues your party caught with Januario in August that year when the whole fleet was scratching around for a bite. Pretty work.

At the moment it is still pretty cool. Jonboy probably told you there is some great water with lots of life in it on its way, but it will take a while to get to the island. Maybe it'll follow you in! La Gomera has definitely been having some outstanding fishing and I hope the same happens to us this year. La Gomera is a great spot and really should get the attention of more of those globe trotting anglers and private boats.

Since I started fishing Madeira I'd have to say that June probably is my favourite month to fish. There has been some really good fishing in that month in previous years. That said, there seem to be more blue marlin and bigeye tuna showing up in the latter half of the season nowadays than used to be, which is great. I'm going over there a little earlier this year; it'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm hearing that there are a lot of big mackerel around this year, which should be a great sign and may also explain why there have not been too many whites and spearfish reported. Mackerel and scad of up to 1.5kg may not be their favourite food item. The commercial fleet is taking bigeye tuna not too far from the island but thus far not the giants that you and Kevin were whacking back in the old days. Maybe later.

Do keep us informed on how you're doing out there.

Best regards
dustin

Old 05-25-2009, 07:27 PM

TracyM

Dustin,

I think of all things I am most excited about is the XXL mackerel that is present. I asked Kevin Nakamaru about this and he said 95 was the only year that this happened. Needless to say, this was the best year on record that anyone can remember for Madeira with monster bigeye to 300lbs, plenty of big blues and even some giant bluefin crusing through.

I have only heard about the warmer water but not really sure on the time frame...Maybe you can enlighten me?

Tracy
Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 AM

MNAC Member
Thomas P

Hi Tracy

Just to clear all misunderstanding regarding Sørens first Grander from Gomera estimated to 1000-1100. The mate have it on the leader 5 times and in the end he broke the leader, so that means he have release it, according the rolls.
So Søren and the boys release one estimated 1000-1100 and hang one 1185 !!!!!!! the same day.

Let’s see have Madeira goes this year and good luck up there.

All the Best

Thomas P

www.marlincapeverde.com
Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM

TracyM

Thomas,

I did not know the story so thanks for that. I was really happy for Soren and he has been putting in the time....TO think he might have caught 2 Granders in one day is awesome.

The fish was caught on a Polukai XL Tubulation . This lure is a collaboration between Kevin Nakamaru and Randy Tokushi at Polukai.

Polukai Tubulation XL

Congrats to Soren and crew!