Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Communiqués

Communiqués News and information regarding the forums and SCMO in general

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default Flipping The Switch

OK, I've delayed as long as I can - I'm out of excuses. It's time to flip the switch and move to the new server.

What Will Happen:

On Friday, at 6PM PDT, the interactive features of the site will be turned off - that means the forums will go into a maintenance shutdown and the commenting at the MarlinBlog will be turned off. This will allow me to take a snapshot of the postings, and prevent anyone from accidentally posting after that - when they would be lost. The many static features of the site will still be available for viewing, however.

At the same time, I'll put in the request to move the DNS pointer from the current server to the new one, where a brand-spanking-new copy of the site is waiting patiently. It's not a process I have any control over, but some time over the weekend, the "marlinnut.com" pointer will switch servers.

What You'll See:

Once the change is made, two things will let you know that we're back in business on the new server. The first is you'll see subtle differences in the site. While the server move is being done to facilitate big changes in the near future, most of those changes can't happen until after the move. If you're curious about the changes you'll see, both short- and long-term, you can read about it here.

The other change is that many bookmarks you have for the SCMO site - other than "www.marlinnut.com", of course, will probably not work. The server structure is different on the new box, and that requires some changes. The good news is that the links to the SCMO Forums will probably still work, as they're not affected by the change - I hope.

That's it for now - see you on the other side!

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.