Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Communiqués

Communiqués News and information regarding the forums and SCMO in general

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default Details Of Site Changes - Short and Long Term

Several folks have asked about what the changes will be once we move to the new server - at least that's my story. Here's what's coming:

Short-Term - as soon as we move to the new server.

- Leaner, meaner site. Several of the features that were buried so deep that no one could find them have been removed. Among them: Internet Portal, Guest Log, Cabo Connection and Men's Room. They may return one day, but I'll wait until someone tells me they miss them

- Improved navigation. I shuffled the contents on the navigation bar (that thing at your left) to give better access to some of the more popular areas of the site.

- Improved search. I'll admit it - our search engine sucked from day 1, so it's gone. We're going with Google Custom Search now, and it's much better - and very familar, if you already use Google. It's also easier to use, too - not only can you use the link from the Navigation Bar, but now there'll be a Search box at the bottom of every page on the site.

- Printer-friendly copies. Speaking of the bottom of the page, there's a lot going on down there now. On every page on the site, if you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see a "Printer-Friendly Version" link in the lower-right corner. Select this link to get a stripped down version of the page - no nav bar or advertising - that's much more friendly for printing. This has irritated me for a long time, and I'll bet you, too. I think we'll all be happy with this feature!

- Public access to the Fishing News. Probably the biggest change, and perhaps the most controversial. Since 2002, the Fishing News has only been available by subscription as an MNAC member. I posed the question to the membership - or, that small portion of the membership that reads the news - about making this move, and the results were mixed. The down side is that without the "carrot" of the Fishing News, MNAC membership - the primary revenue stream for this site - will likely drop. But then, it's never been that big, anyway, and we're going to count on people wanting to support this site because it's the right thing to do. The up side - and hopefully, it's a big one - is that more people can read, benefit - and participate - in the Fishing News process.

Long-Term - later this summer.

Our biggest reason for switching servers (other than the old one sucking ass) was to facilitate upgrades that weren't possible before. A couple of them will go into development immediately, and should debut just in time for the 2009 marlin season.

- New forums software. The people have spoken, and have said they want vBulletin, so vBulletin they shall get. I'll admit, I don't particularly care for it, since it's hard to make integrate smoothly into the site or to keep from looking like every other site out there. But I have a couple of months, and I'll make it work. If you've seen a site with a vBulletin install you particularly like, this would be a good time to point it out.

- Photo hosting. Along with the new forums, we're installing PhotoPost for image hosting. It'll be integrated with the forums, so you can move seamlessly between the two. This is the one thing people have been asking for the longest, and it'll be good to finally have it in place. I'm also looking at video hosting - it's a tougher nut to crack, but I'll work it out. Again, if you've seen something you really like, let me know!

- Interactive Fishing News. One of the upgrades coming is to the MarlinBlog, which will be getting new software. That software allows me to host multiple blogs, and the Fishing News will be joining the MB in the blog format. That will let you not only read the news, but also post your comments and questions on the entries. Should be fun!

As you can see, I've been busy, and have a lot more work ahead of me. I think it'll be worth it, though, and I hope you do, too. If you do, tell a friend!

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM

SCMO Expert
Peter Pakula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Details Of Site Changes - Short and Long Term

Stan you can get V'Bulletin to do whatever you want. It is tottally customisable and will integrate into the rest of your site should you wish.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Benevolent Dictator

>Stan you can get V'Bulletin to do whatever you want. It is
>tottally customisable and will integrate into the rest of your
>site should you wish.

And that's exactly what I'm counting on. I have a test instance already up and running - the challenge has been getting the data to convert properly, and working out all the details on templates and such. But, next to releasing marlin, it's what I like to do. I know - it's a sickness ...

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler

Oh the irony:-

if I click on the "View All" for this subject it is fine, but if - instead - I click on either the Peter Pakula reply or your reply to his, I get this in the address bar http://www.marlinnut.com/forums/dcbo...g_id=224&page=
plus a blank page. If I then click on refresh it does ....to a blank page.

If I get the same thing for other topics (and/or in other fora) I shall edit this and add on an example

Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Benevolent Dictator

Hmm ... I get the same thing if I click on your link, but I'm wondering what mode you're viewing in where you see a "View All" link. I'm viewing in linear mode (trying to get used to it before I switch to vB *smile*), but that link doesn't seem to be there in either linear or threaded mode.

Looks like I got me some diggin' to do ...

Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler

Hmm...couldn't edit #3, because time period has expired.

however, I have changed to Linear view (only visible in header after I changed to "Classic mode" from "dcf") to see what happens when I click Post on this.

AHA ! that does it - it comes back straight away after I post.

I shal just check if I can click directly to an entry (rather than show all of the entries for a topic and click on one that is fully expanded ) .....
Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler

Ooops - though it lets me reply, it does not let me edit - I get that blank white page again.

Feel I should up my subscription to Stan, for the effort he has to make to identify/fix these annoting anomalies.....