Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Communiqués

Communiqués News and information regarding the forums and SCMO in general

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default Hello, Bug!

Found our first big bug of the new upgrades. One of the things I didn't discuss, since it is behind the scenes, is a new program to run security and access for the members area. Part of the process was migrating the data for all the current MNAC members from the old app to the new one, which was an automated process - or so I thought. My username and password work just fine, but apparently, none of yours do.

Now, I could just ramble around by myself in the Members' Area, and it wouldn't really be a big change from normal. But, in the spirit of doing the right thing, we'll go and debug the thing. My worry is that the solution will be cancelling and recreating all the accounts manually, but if that's what it takes, then that's what we do!

Thanks to Tim for pointing this one out - if anyone finds any others, let me know!

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Benevolent Dictator

Default User Area Bug Update

Looks like the only solution is going to be to delete each account and then recreate it manually. That could take a little time, but should be done in a day or so. Sorry for the trouble.

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Benevolent Dictator

Default Surprise - New Bug!

It's amazing how many of the things that you assumed worked don't after a move. The click-thru feature of our ad banners is currently causing an error. I know why, and just have to recreate the accounts to fix it. Why is it every answer ends up requiring me to spent time at the keyboard? Should be fixed later this morning - thanks to Omar for pointing it out.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Benevolent Dictator

Default RE: Surprise - New Bug!

OK, got this one fixed. Click-thrus shouldn't cause any more problems, and I encourage everyone to click on as many banners as possible to verify the fix ... :)

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Benevolent Dictator

Default Forum Viewing Bug

So far, I've been able to run down all the bugs found, with one exception. I think this is one we're gonna have to live with.

There are several different viewing modes you can use with this forum program, and for some reason, one of them is failing. I've verified that it worked on the old server but not here, and I've installed a fresh copy of software - no customizations - elsewhere on this server and gotten the same failure. That tells me that there's some subtle difference between the two that's causing the grief. It also explains why we're going to change the forum software one last time to something that's still in active development.

That said, here's how we'll get around it. When you first come to the forums and see the listing, you can select from two view modes: classic or dcf. Everyone should already be using dcf, as classic has been buggy from the start (important note: when you're looking at the screen, it doesn't tell you what mode you're in - only which one you can change to. You have to deduce that whichever one you can change to isn't the one you're in ...).

You go ahead and select a forum, such as the Marlin Club. Again, you have view options. You can view in dcf or classic mode again, and you can view threaded or linear. If you choose to view threaded mode, you have an additional choice - expand or collapse topics.

It's only if you view the forum in threaded mode, with the topics expanded, that you'll have trouble. If you select a topic (or subtopic) in that mode, you get a blank page. You can view it in threaded with the topics collapsed, and you'll be fine. You can still view threaded mode in the individual topics without trouble. It's just the one combination that's causing the problem.

I'll continue to work on this, but since I'm out of ideas, I thought it best to share what I know and how to get around the problem for now.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler
Default RE: Forum Viewing Bug

O.K. I'm in dcf, threaded mode, topics collapsed

now let's see what happens when I "Post message" on this reply . . .

*** well that worked fine *** this is an edit added a minute later
let's see what happens when I "Update message" . . . .

*** well that also worked fine *** (I've added this in a second edit)

Thanks Stan :- bug fully identified (and from now on no trouble except to new users of the SCMO)
Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 AM
Benevolent Dictator

Default RE: Forum Viewing Bug

> (and from now on no trouble except to new users of the SCMO)

Fortunately, we don't get those any more ... :slaphead:

In all seriousness, this will just accelerate my efforts to bring the phase 2 stuff online.