S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Welcome Aboard
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard Introduce yourself to the rest of our community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Rook

MNAC Member
baybassboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to baybassboy
Default Quick Hello from a SoCal Marlin Rookie...

Hello Members of SCMO,

Name is Morgan Williams (some call me Mo) and I am new to the boards and Marlin fishing, but far from a newbie when it comes to our local inshore. I'll tell you a little about myself and what i am hoping to get out of the site (which i have combed through thouroughly and am extremely impressed with).

First off, a little about me. I am a 23 year old currently living on Balboa Island (I am truly blessed and thank my grandparents and God everyday for my grandfather making a pretty good real-estate investment back in the '60s). I have a Bachelors in Business Administration from Chapman University up the road in Orange. After college, I decided I wanted to follow in my dad's footsteps and become a firefighter (hopefully for LAFD). So, an EMT course and an Associates in Fire Science (and 2 years) later, I am currently in Backgrounds with LAFD. While waiting on the slooooooow process, I am working at the Hyatt Newport Beach.

Secondly, the Handle. BAYBASSBOY was the first username i had for any fishing forum. So, rather than remember a different one for the various sites, i stuck with it (even here where baybass are probably the furthest thing from Mr. Stripey).

And a little about my own marlin experience. I was exposed to the world of marlin fishing through So Cal Marlin angler Argyle Nelson. I basically grew up playing baseball with his son, and his obsession with marlin rubbed off a little on me at a young age. I solidified this interest while working for John at JDs Big Game here on the island. Started off just helping clean up around the shop, but soon got into rigging leaders, lures, and other tackle for both inshore and local offshore fishing. I'm sure I have met a few of you over my years of working for JD.

I (my family) own a little 17ft Hydrasports CC named Mo-tivator and i am on the water close to 100 days a year. 95% of what i do is inshore bass fishing, but love getting out to the local high spots this time of year as the warm water (and the fish it brings) moves up the line.

I am a Marlin Rookie in every sense of the term. Sure I've gotten my fish down in East Cape, but my dream of a SoCal marlin has yet to be realized. That's ot to say I dont try and put in the time (3 looooooong boat rides thus far this season). I have had my shots at fish here in our local waters. Thrown baits to a few tailers/sleepers with little more than a nervous response; (accidentally) hooked a couple doing the paddy hop thing, but only got some quick aerial shows before the light leaders went pow! But i can already feel it... THIS IS MY YEAR. I don't know what makes me think so, but there is just this weird feeling on the boat that says "I will fly that flag this season".

So, why am i here? I can tell this is a great place not only to gain information, but hopefully share a little too. Like i said, I am really trying to put in the time on the water this year, and I will be happy to come back and share conditions, stories, and signs of life whenever i go out. Sure its all local (the 14, 267, Avalon Bank, 277), but I know nothing is worth more than being out there and having your eyes on the water. But what i really am looking for is information on how to become a better fisherman with respect to small boats. I would be dumb to think the game doesnt change a little in a 17' boat that is low to the water. But how do i react to these changes.

So that will be my first question in "Ask the Experts".

Ok, sorry if that got a little long-winded, but I get really excited just thinking of the possibility of a local marlin in my own little rig. So HELLO, and to Stan.... awesome site buddy... can't wait to get even deeper.

Best of Luck,
Morgan
Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default Re: Quick Hello from a SoCal Marlin Rookie...

Welcome, Morgan - you're definitely in the right place! Start by reviewing the past year's Trip Reports and Fishing News entries - that will give you a good idea of how the cycles of SoCal marlin fishing work. About the time you finish with that, the first one for 2009 will be caught and you'll be ready to do some damage of your own.

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.