S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2004, 01:28 PM
JC

JC
Default "Green Stick Method"

Can anybody give me some more info on the green stck method of tuna fishing. I did a search on the internet and that brought me to Pop-Hawaii and also to some north carolina fishing methods.

http://www.hatterasblue.com/tackle.htm

From what I understood it is done mostly by commercials and a 30-45 feet pole drags a line with a big wooden bird at the end. You then clip some squid to the "main line" that skitter and skip along the surface and the tuna come crashing the party. :

Is it "that" effective?? Is there an alternative way of doing this?? (Other than freds bars ;) ) Can it be improvised like using the outrigger pole in the up position. Would love to hear some more on this.

Thanks,

JC
Old 11-29-2004, 04:29 PM

Captain Fred Archer
Default RE: "Green Stick Method"

JC,

I'm sure that Jim Mackerel and maybe a Hawaii cappy or two will respond, as green sticks are used extensively in both places and Jim's dynamite flying fish immitators are used by many of the "stickers". I suspect that you will be warned that this is (used to be, anyway) a heavy duty and maybe even dangerous technique from the physical standpoint and unless you downsized it pretty radically, I don't think that a high rigger would survive the pressure put on it by the big, wooden bird. Let's see what the experts say about that. I too am interested in the answers.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:29 PM

Mikey Mike is on a distinguished road

Hi JC
You'll have to wait for the experts but here's what I know.

Commercials use a breakaway tied to the pole so they can hand line the fish in with a windless. They bring in the whole outfit for a fish. Tuna still hit the baits even after it is knocked down.

Sportos use rubberbands on each down line, so rod & reel can be used. They may not bring in the whole mainline to reset your down line. You might have to wait for a couple more fish to be caught.

Commercial guys match the size baits to the size fish in the area. Somtimes they use hollow squids with an eggsinker to keep it down, somtimes they use the solid body ones that flutter. It depends on the wind.

The leader doesn't touch the water, just like kite fishing!

The birds are huge, homemade, 3 foot wingspan jobs. Most guys have an anchorball attached so if they loose it they can see the ball to retrieve it.

The pole is flexible so it won't break. In some conditions the pole will spring/load/spring/load. Making the towed lures look as though they are changing speed with the wave.

Not sure but I don't think they use them all year round.

Mikey

I wonder how deep the ocean would be without any sponges.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:39 PM

ccrods

The Green Stick is very tought o duplicate in the sense of the size of the bird being used. It is a very effective methos for yellowfin, albacore, big eye and bluefin. When I used to work on a boat that had a stick it was awesome how many fish these things raise! The most difficult part of the rigging was if you did not load up the main line was taking the baits of that were not tight!!, than remembering ther sequence in the chain when it was deployed again. We used hydraulic reels so the psyhically dangerous aspect was nill. We were not out there trying to be sporties either.

Can you duplicate the Green Stick? Probably not, the height is in my opinion the most important part of this style fishing, it lets you put your baits out so much further back in virgin water. You must also really have the Stick mounted in away that it has significant support, we had 3 sleeves that were machined to the od of the sick in different locations and clamped these to our mast leading to our tower. You could feel the tower almost being pulled due to the dragof the bird digging!!

Old 11-29-2004, 06:25 PM

Tashtego

Seagrant has a publication on there site. Cost is $5.00...
Explains this system in great detail...

The guys in Wanchese are selling systems for Sport boats for approx. $3,500....You still need to figure out how to mount the damn thing cause the bird [ approx 18 lb ] puts major pressure on the stick...

Some guys are trolling with Kites... You can troll them pretty fast,which can get a couple baits back 200 yards but can't simulate what the big bird does...Still for spooky fish will get some bites....
Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 AM
JC

JC

"You could feel the tower almost being pulled due to the dragof the bird digging!!"

:o :o :o :o :o

So I gather it is a good method but not worth the hassle for sportfishing. Will have to order some of Freds Bars then...

JC

Old 12-01-2004, 10:11 AM

SCMO Expert
PacoSaca will become famous soon enough
Default RE:

JC nothing will ever replace Fredster's SuperDuper Bars... nothing!

[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="2"]If you get Sport Fishing Mag on the December issue check the "Rigging and Techniques" section for a downsized "green stick" method which by the way is not green at all... the first ones in the market were green but now they are black and people just kept on calling it the "green stick".

[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="2"]If you don't get the magazine let me know and I would photocopy the page for you.
http://mywebsite.register.com/db2/00...ages/signa.gif
[font color=white face=verdana]....[font color=navy]Paco Saca
[font color=white]....[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="1"]Life's Short, Fish hard...

Never judge the success or failure of your fishing in seconds, minutes, hours, days or even years - but rather by a lifetime of experiences.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:27 AM

SCMO Expert
Chip
Default RE: Can't see the forest thru the trees!

There are so many sticks here in Kona that our harbor looks like a forest! Some are fiberglass and come in mostly black or purple but there's blue and red too. The best "Stick" is carbon graphite and comes silver. The tallest stick in our harbor is mounted on the boat next to mine, the ECLIPSE, its 52 feet tall. He can run a six squid rig and when streched out he's about 600 feet long.

the average bird or "sled" is from 3 feet to over 4 feet long and has three wings about 14 to maybe 18 inches wide and weighted with lead on the bottom, they are tuned by amount and placement of the lead. A fender or floater is pulled just behind the bird to add drag, fight the fish on that end and aid in finding it when the rig breaks. As much or more than the bird is to attract fish it's there to create the tension needed to hold the mainline tight to the stick. This is important as the height of the dangled squids MUST BE PERFECT. they should fly and only occasionally touch the water or you won't get bit much.

The rig is attached to the tag line from the top of the stick with a break away string,100 to 200+ pound test, the drag of the sled is huge. used to be a handline basket but now all the guys have an electric winch with adjustable drag to hold there mainline and to winch in there big tunas. Half the charter boats here have sticks and their rig is wound onto a 130lb rod and reel backed with 200lb dacron, the rig itself is 500 or 600lb test and winds right on to the reel, pretty sporty, squids are hung with long line clips and removed as the rig is wound on till you get to the one with fish. the fish fights the floater and bird on that end and the winch or angler on the boat end.

The bites are great, big yft's jumping way up there and grabbing your squid in mid air, they miss alot but almost always come back till they get it. When the stick lets go you know it! POW!!!!! when I did with a handline basket the handline would be flying out of the basket about six feet in the air and go over the side without even touching the gunnel.

pretty good trick getting people to pay you $700.00 so they can watch porpoise and 20 other boats all day untill they finally get to wind in a big tuna for you on 600lb gear dragging a floater and 18lb. bird behind it, not bad getting payed to commercial fish.

Chip

808-960-5954
bvanmols@rod-bender.com
Old 12-01-2004, 12:16 PM

SCMO Expert
PacoSaca will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Kona gossip...

[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="2"] "Eclipse"... a 37' boat with a 52' stick... wow!!! How good does your neighbor does with his...? not very good I assume... last August you caught more ahi than him.

[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="2"]Chip, on the month of August Kevin Nakamaru on the "Northern Lights" caught 14 ahi and tied for second place came the Rod Bender ;) , Huntress and Lady Dee. I know your boss would never put one of those ugly things on the Rod Bender. I remember Guy Terwilliger on the "Ho'okele" does not uses the stick either but how about the other boats mentioned above... Huntress, Lady Dee Northern Lights...? does Kevin uses it...? who holds the title of "ahi king" at Honokohau Harbor so far in 2004...? it has always been a tight race and some of the names frequently seen in that race have been Kevin and also Guy... BTW what happened with Guy during last August, I do not see him mentioned that much... did he go out at all...?

http://mywebsite.register.com/db2/00...ages/signa.gif
[font color=white face=verdana]....[font color=navy]Paco Saca
[font color=white]....[font color="navy" face="comic sans ms" size="1"]Life's Short, Fish hard...

Never judge the success or failure of your fishing in seconds, minutes, hours, days or even years - but rather by a lifetime of experiences.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:36 PM

Jim Mckeral

The hot sporting thing is pulling two Yummee Fly'n fish(my lure) under a kite at 4.5 to 7.5 knots. Depending upon how picky the fish are they will use either a wingless bait(less cost) or a standard winged one. The kite, doesn't cost much, is easy to use, is very sporting and makes for some terrific surface strikes. You just want the bait to touch water every now and then. When the tuna won't otherwise bite they will hit this set up. Don't sweat about not having a huge bird back there and only having two baits out. The Tuna will find them just fine and often jump in the air to hit them.

The stick is a great commercial tool, but no one has really found a way to make it sporting. The kites are also better when the fish are boat shy and picky because you can run that kite way off your beam. On a trivia note I spoke with(through an interpreter at a show some years back) the Japanese man who invented and makes the sticks. The sole pupose of the big bird is to keep the line tight. Period! If people want to think the bird is what peaks the Tunas prey drive, they can and many do. But it really is the fish in the air that drives the Tuna nuts.

I hope this info helps

Good Luck Kite fishing for Tuna

Jim