S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 02:36 AM

adrian
Default Rapala plug is the best lure for Tuna?

That is what most captain dan fisherman here believe. I don't believe it, and I think my Tuna Clones work better. But just last week end I found a much better lure for Tuna, Poppers! Me and a friend did some Popping with 100-125 grams poppers and caught 7 YFT, average 50 lbs each in about 5 hours. The people who troll (with rapalas off course) only got 2.

So what is the board oppinion on this? Do you also think rapalas are the best lure for Tuna or other lure is better?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:48 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rapala plug is the best lure for Tuna?

Probably stems from the days when all there was in your area was those old wooden boats with a tiny single diesel engine that couldn't go much faster than 5-6 knots. I fished from quite a few of those over in Lampung and a couple other places in SW Java when I was a kid, and rapalas were the best lure as you simply couldn't do anything with any other lure. Of course nowadays with more capable boats things are a little different. I think the rapala is still a useful lure for trolling, but if they're moving around fast you need something that lets you keep up with them. Popper fishing does often work better than trolling on the GT at Phuket probably because they're not spooked by boat or engine noise, I guess it's the same with your YFT but you do need to be a good caster and position the boat in the right place.

cheers - dustin
Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 AM

Pescador Paul

Hey guys,

As a former private boater here in San Diego (23 ft Grady-White), I long ago concluded that almost any tuna feather/trolling lure (tuna Clones, Zukers, etc.) will catch tuna. That said, I have to admit that on my old boat nothing got bit better than a Rapala CD18 or 14. Color didn't seem to matter.

It can be difficult to get the Rapala to run straight at higher speeds, but my dual outboard powered boat seemed to get bit best at 6-7 knots, and I could usually get the Raps to run well at that speed.

My standard trolling pattern was fred's spreader bars run off the outriggers, and the Rapala on the two flat lines. I am convinced that the spreaders often raised the fish which would then hit the Raps.

Just my humble opinion.

Pescador Paul

Old 11-30-2004, 08:56 AM

Captain Fred Archer

You KNOW I can't leave this one alone, even though I am going 20/7 finishing up my wahoo book.

Rapala's work, but they are a long way from the best tuna lures. They are usually a pain for (me, anyway) to get to run right. I replace the trebles with kirbed barbless singles or circle hooks. My hands and legs hate trebles, plus we release a lot of tooners in Cabo and trebles both make that hard and do a lot of damage to the fish - and sometimes the fisherman! Belly hook down and tail hook up. This opposes the kirbs and they go a long way toward stabilizing the plugs at speed.

Rap's also restrict my trolling speeds and I simply can't have that. Whether it's a pod of feeders that pop up in dolphin, a tailing marlin that I want to jump, or a high spot or canyon mouth that I want to temporarily speed up over for a shot at a wahoo (kinda secret, that one), I have to troll what are in essence, all speed lures. Anything that I can't haul ass with without it popping up on the surface and skittering around, tangling itself and other stuff simply does not cut the tooner mustard for me.

That said, all-speed Gen II SuperBars are my number one, hands down choice for the very best tuna lures. Number two is the ubiquitous Sea Striker Cedar Plug in natural or black, six or nine inch. No, they don't stick well when hauling patooty, but drop them back a bit and they stick and catch when you're on the throttles.

In my book (pun intended), Rapalas rank pretty far down the top tooner lure list. Marauders and Yo-Zuries are ranked a lot higher as far as I'm concerned.

I pretty much agree with Dustin's observation that Rapalas got popular when boats didn't go fast and in some areas, what I am wont to call, "FIDS", or "Fishing Inertia Disease Syndrome" has kept local fishermen from moving to newer and better ways of doing things. Of course, "IFO's", or "Infrequently Fishing Others" offering "UPSO's", or "Uninformed, Purely Speculative Opinions" about new approachs, lures and tackle dissuade many locals from trying them.

And so FIDS stifles growth and knowledge in some places (most, in fact) and many fishermen remain mired in the past.

Fortunately, there is cure for FIDS.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:00 AM

PROSPECTOR

I have the 'love/hate' relationship with Rapala. Love em on slow days when they put a few fish in the bag. Hate em when they tangle up the rest of the spread on a turn, trying to tune them at faster speeds, or digging a pair of treble hooks out of a fish when the bites on - wasting time.

I fished those Pili poppers off Kona years ago, from the flybridge way back and it was awesome watching YFT crash on these poppers rigged with 9/0 Siwash singles. So many classic and more effective lures for YFT than Rapala (so you know I work for 7strand) my YFT lures would be: Green Machines, Tuna Clones, Mini Tuna Clones, Hawaiian squid bars or chains, 8" Kona Jets, Kona Clone 1220C, and someone always manages to sneak a cedar plug out when I am not looking. The Bart Miller creations like the Tuna Candy and XXX, Archer bars, and Pakula Uzis could also find a home in our spread.

A different spin I have on your Rapala observation is less multiple hook ups. When fishing albacore or school sized yellowfins off San Diego, a pair of Rapala CD 14's or 18's in the spread would usually give us a single or double on those plugs when mixed with Tuna Clones. Put out all Tuna Clones, same color, and every lure position would go off. To test this theory, swapped out the four Clones for four Uzi's in lumo- same results. I have heard the results are the same or better for the multiple bar folks too when targeting YFT.

Maybe just a trick learned by the commercial albacore jig boats- who are out there busting it trying to make a living. When those salty dogs come into 7strand every spring for albacore gear, you start seeing a pattern when the third or fourth guy walks out of the plant with a trash bag full of all white or zuchini Tuna Clones? They tell me keep it simple, all one color, find the 64 degree blue water close to an edge, etc etc.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:37 AM

Mikey Mike is on a distinguished road

Aloha
A diving plug is a great novel way to catch tuna on light line.

When sportfishermen come out TDY I put a couple casting rods on the boat. I like to bring spinners because most people can't cast a conventional.

A diving plug is started then once they get used to that I usually switch to a diamond jig for the bigger fish.

Once they think they have conquered the world of the tuna. I put on my small slant pearlheads, 5.5 skirts, 400# leader on 80s left spiked. I then high speed troll and catch as many tuna as I can get out of them before their arms fall off. Don't ask for a logical explanation of this technique, there isn't one.It just works.

Then I put the big lures on.}>

Rapalas have a place, I don't think there is a best lure for everybody. Simply too many different fishing styles.

Mikey

I wonder how deep the ocean would be without any sponges.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:24 PM

SCMO Expert
Chip

Hey all,

There is now a better rapala than a rapala. Its called a Lazer Pro by Halco. They come in whatever color you want, they're bullet proof, will troll faster than a rapala ( I don't know if they'll go over 9 knots but I never tried, but they're fine up to that). they just out rapala'd the rapala.

Just a side note.

Chip
808-960-5954
bvanmols@rod-bender.com
Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 PM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann is on a distinguished road

http://www.billfishtacklesupply.com/Halco/laserpro.htm

I like the connection point to the front of the lure versus to the bill...these should run better without all that tuning as with the other brand. Anyone need a dozen CD14 and CD18's Rapalas that can't be tuned any more and like to roll and screw up any and all lines that happen to be trolled near them? Real cheap too...

Dave
}>
Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler

TJ Hook may be interested in those Halco Lasers. He already like the Halco Tremblers.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:40 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: DAVE - I'LL TAKE THEM!

Dave, I'll take them. I'll send you some lures/ lure heads in exchange. Do get in touch via email, please.

cheers - dustin