S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Welcome Aboard
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard Introduce yourself to the rest of our community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 AM

bmoody is on a distinguished road
Default my intro

After lurking for sometime, I grew tired of not being able to view the pictures.....

I like this place for the focus on fishing, not all fishing forums have that....

I fish a 23 CC off West Palm Beach, FL. Frequently trolling, but I can't really say I am billfishing, let alone marlin fishing. Never the less, I dream of such critters.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default Re: my intro

First, welcome and thanks for stepping up. I think you'll find most of the folks here share your thoughts on what should and should not be found in a place like this - I certainly do!

As for trolling, hey - that's why they call it fishing and not catching. I spent nearly a decade hooking marlin before I actually caught the first one. It was those dreams you refer to that made that decade tolerable.

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 PM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got some friends not too far away from you Moody!

Catching them from a 23 foot boat is fun. Fish look a lot bigger when they come up to a small boat! What types of gamefish do you usually go out for? From what I can gather, it seems like there's a good chance of picking up a dorado for the table even if you can't find a marlin (which isn't always true of some places!).

Best regards
dustin
Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM

We typically trolled a variety of smaller lures w/ and w/o ballyhoo, generally targeting dolphin, wahoo, and tunas (skipjack and blackfin). Sometimes we're looking for a specific target species, others we're just hoping something will jump on the lures.

I'm trying to get up the courage to pull my bigger lures (senior moldcraft, Aloha's Disco Ball, etc.).
Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Just do it! Be prepared to aggressively chase the fish, and you'll be fine. Besides, you've probably got a decent chance of getting a marlin bite on your smaller lures if you can run over one. The smallest lure I've had a blue marlin hookup on thus far was a little mini plunger head with 6 1/2" Yo-Zuri skirts (400+) and another little cupfaced doornob again with 6 1/2" skirts (150). Smallest actually caught one on (but only because it was on more reasonable tackle!), an el cheapo williamson metal head feather not more than 7" overall. Doubtless plenty of folks here have caught them on smaller stuff yet. What sort of depths of water do you guys normally work in? Do you have lots of company on the grounds? Blackfins, skipjacks and peanut dorados sound like tasty blue marlin snacks.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Fishing off West Palm Beach the general rule of thumb is each mile off = 100' depth. On calmer days flats skiffs are fishing for sailfish over the deeper reefs (~140'). I've caught dolphin from 90' to out past when my sounder won't always read.

In trying to describe this I'm starting to think that I need to quit fishing for a mixed bag. Perhaps I should consider picking a depth and lures for a single species?

Yes we have small blackfin, skippies and dolphin, and at times TONS of little tuny (locally called bonita). However, very rarely do I ever hear of marlin catches. Is this a lack of marlin, or a lack of effort directed at marlin?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Good luck in your hunt! Quite a few folks here are familiar with your area - Wahooking, Bart and Mike Ables (Mikey) in particular and there are definitely some others. If you need info on more general stuff like setups and so on, hop over to the main forum. Plenty here will weigh in. Don't forget to let us know how you get on!

Best regards
dustin
Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Mikey Mike is on a distinguished road

aloha

Try trolling high speed lures between - then along the rows of grass early ,,first light,,, back at the dock with wahoo by 10am. Mid day switch to marlin lures close with a long lure as a mouse trap/tuna-mahi catcher. at first sign of dark drop a few sword baits and drift while ya have a sandwich, beer,,,clean up. Then run in with one of Barts wahoo lures at 15 knots all the way up to 90 ft. line it in and call it a day.

The disco is fine,,,much better than the other one you mentioned.

Definately stop in and see Barts store. If ya bring a couple extra monster sodas the pro staff there will bend over backwards ta help ya. ask for a skirting demo and a hook riggin demo. These guys are the best in the world. Tell um Mikey sentcha.

Go Yankees!!!

I wonder how deep the ocean would be without any sponges.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks Mike.

I've been to Bart's shop, he helped me pick out skirts for a lure (and it wasn't even one of his). He had the guys glue them on for me and polish up the head -- it was a used/found lure given to me to get me started when I bought my boat. It is about time to go again, as I need the cordage they sell by the foot to re-rig my outriggers.

Your outline is a rather full day. I have managed a couple of wahoo and swords, and now intend to get a little more serious about trolling for billfish.

While drifting swords I prefer beer and cold fried chicken, but I'm not above eating a sandwich....
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 AM

Good going - "managing a couple of swords" is something quite a few of us haven't done!

The MCWR and disco is a nice short/long outrigger combo for heavy tackle but Bart will probably find you a better pair of lures for your corner spots with 50 lb class gear.