S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Welcome Aboard
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard Introduce yourself to the rest of our community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 12:22 AM

shagnrelease is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from South africa!

Hi there all, just a quick intro. I see there are a couple of SA boys on the site and a few members that have visited our shores already!

I operate a sportsfishing and hunting operation over here and look forward to learning a lot more from all of you guys here.

As some of you know we tend to operate from much smaller craft and launch craft up to 30ft straight from the beach and through the surf, so we get the adrenalin flowing early in the mornings!!

I tend to do most of my fishing from Cape vidal, which is a stunning area where you could stand on a dune and see a free jumping Black marlin then turn around and see a group of Foraging Black Rhino, were very spoilt.

Here is my baby rigged and ready to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10980.jpg (105.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10999.jpg (116.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5901.jpg (59.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Hooked deep.jpg (107.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by shagnrelease; 09-28-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 AM

mangre
Default Re: Hello from South africa!

I love your Country and was lucky enough to visit there in 1991 after Hitchhiking from Kenya.
Look forward to your reports and hope to vist again in the future.

Paul
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Mikey Mike is on a distinguished road

Hi, Great to have you post pics.

It looks like you run four lines, two 130s from the corners and 2 80s from the riggers. Do you pull meat from all four or lures?

Which position gets hit the most? What bait gets hit the most?

Have you ever used a charging rhino to test yer drags? lol

Welcome aboard!

I wonder how deep the ocean would be without any sponges.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:29 PM

SCMO Expert
Finnseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnrelease View Post
Hi there all, just a quick intro. I see there are a couple of SA boys on the site and a few members that have visited our shores already!

I operate a sportsfishing and hunting operation over here and look forward to learning a lot more from all of you guys here.

As some of you know we tend to operate from much smaller craft and launch craft up to 30ft straight from the beach and through the surf, so we get the adrenalin flowing early in the mornings!!

I tend to do most of my fishing from Cape vidal, which is a stunning area where you could stand on a dune and see a free jumping Black marlin then turn around and see a group of Foraging Black Rhino, were very spoilt.

Here is my baby rigged and ready to go.
Ja oom.....................Nicely rigged do you fish the Richards Bay event ? Any in PE or out of capetown. Where you based out of I have a home in Umhlanga Rocks and CT. ooops sorry see you fishing out Cape Vidal.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike View Post
Hi, Great to have you post pics.

It looks like you run four lines, two 130s from the corners and 2 80s from the riggers. Do you pull meat from all four or lures?

Which position gets hit the most? What bait gets hit the most?

Have you ever used a charging rhino to test yer drags? lol

Welcome aboard!
Hi Mike,

I generally run 5 80w pulling lures, with one down the middle. I dont believe we really need to fish anything bigger than 80lb here, that may change if I get steam rolled or hook a rhino!! If we are use live baits I only fish with two.

Generally the short corner gets eaten the most, but we get a fair amount throughout the spread.

As far as lures go, I have a lot of success with the iland express, Purple silver black wide range and Big -t zulu.

Guys generally dont fish a lot of dead baits here, but if we get some Yellow fin or Bonito they get pegged.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnseeker View Post
Ja oom.....................Nicely rigged do you fish the Richards Bay event ? Any in PE or out of capetown. Where you based out of I have a home in Umhlanga Rocks and CT. ooops sorry see you fishing out Cape Vidal.
Dag se meneer! yip I do fish the RB event its now called the SADSAA columbia classic, But used to be the Black watch tournament. I generally skip a bigger 47' boat for a freind of mine there, but think I will fish it with my boat next year.

I dont do any fishing cape side at all, generally just the North Coast, how often do you come home? It would be an honour to have you on board one day?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:11 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for tuning in mate!

That's a neat little fighting seat unit you've got. That's pretty heavy tackle you're running and I can bet that being able to park their ass in that chair makes a big difference for many of your clients. Have you got any photos of your anglers in action? What is the length and beam of your vessel, and does she give you many issues in terms of towing?

Are the sea conditions in your area as bad as the Cape? Do you have any of the big yellowfins or is it mainly billfish? Do you get many bites from stripes and blues (we've seen some photos huge blues weighed in at Sodwana? in the past) as well as blacks? Is most of your fishing done inshore or do you guys work further out very much? When would be the best time to visit as far as weather and fishing is concerned?

I need to revisit the southern hemisphere at some point and after learning a little about the quality fishing you have, I really need to make sure that trip includes SA!

Thanks
dustin
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 AM

Hi Dustin,

yes with the big gear the chair is a must, but we do use a range of 80lb stand-ups as well, it just depends on the level of expertise by the client really.

She is 22ft long and has a beam of 2.7 mtrs with twin 115 suzuki 4s. I do have some pics which I will try and put together for you, the ones with the guys in the chairs are not very good really, 50lb gear and small fish and wobbly on there feet anglers.

We are very fortunate in that we get a great blue,black and stripey bite so you really can get a mixed bag. I will post a pic of a black and stripey hooked on a double both fish were tagged and released. And we are starting to get a lot more big tuna in the 60-90kg class on our north coast, generally a by-catch when we are targeting marlin.

oct-april is the traditional season but we got fish right up to july this year?? but for the best weather I would say jan-feb, our wind is a bit better behaved. We do get some big seas here, not as bad as the cape but it generally blows most afternoons.I have attached a pic of some surf launches as well, these are a bit extreme the surf does not stand like that every day!

We have some very sharp cuts and canyons on the north coast, and we are normally never further than 20 miles offshore, but in some areas we will work 40nm. And get fish in 70-1500 mtr depth.

For sure when you are thinking of coming out we can sort out a great adventure for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02625.jpg (118.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02632.JPG (41.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Myn-Manne 071.jpg (55.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Myn-Manne 129.jpg (48.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Map_day_4_e_(40).jpg (26.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02626.JPG (49.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM

dirk101
Smile Re: Hello from South africa!

Hi Everyone,

Another South African alebeit an unexperienced one.

I am purely a recreational angler fishing for whatever bites.

I run a 19ft length 7 foot beam monohull skiboat with 2 x 70 Suzuki 4's.

Small chair and 16ft outriggers.

Boat only carries 4 anglers and 45 gallons fuel which gives about 30 hours endurance at 7 knots.

I fish 2 places only, Sodwana on SA North Coast and Ponta D'Oura Mozambique.

Have fished Richardssbay but not from my boat.

Tally to date is 7 Black strikes varying from 3 min on to 3 & half hours but not one T&R'd or boated.

Last was about 500 Black at Sodwana which was on for 3 & 1/2 hours on 20lb and a TLD25.

100lb Leader gave way eventua;;y. She took on a Halco Max pulled for Tuna at about 12knots.

Next comp is only in April.

Cya all and tight lines