S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Friends of Fish
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Friends of Fish

Friends of Fish Discussions, updates and announcements about billfish preservation and all forms of marine conservation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Thumbs up SoCal MLPA Implementation Delay

While I support the idea of applying intelligent limits to fishing, I think we all agree that the MLPA as currently set benefits pretty much no one, so this is a good thing ...
Southern California's Coastal Waters Will Remain Open on October 1

Delay casts further doubt on when, if ever, the MLPA Regulations will go into effect

Sacramento, CA – August 29, 2011 – A delay in the approval of California's controversial South Coast Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) regulations means that anglers will now have more time on the water. October 1, 2011 was the date that the no-fishing zone regulations were to have gone into effect.

According to a press release issued by the California Department of Fish and Game on August 25, California's Office of Administrative Law (OAL), which must first review and approve the regulations before they go into effect, informed the California Fish and Game Commission that it has additional questions and requests for more information. After the Commission responds to the OAL's issues, it may be required to re-notice the regulatory package. The Fish and Game Commission will meet on September 15, to discuss alternative effective dates for implementation of the Southern California marine protected areas.

Adding further uncertainty to the timeline for these regulations is a pending lawsuit filed by members of the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans (PSO), which represents the interests of California's recreational anglers and boaters in the MLPA process. The lawsuit seeks to set aside the MLPA regulations for the North Central and SouthCoast study regions, citing a lack of statutory authority for the Fish and Game Commission to adopt the regulations, and, in the case of the SouthCoast regulations, numerous violations of the California Environmental Quality Act in the commission's environmental review of the regulations. A hearing on the NorthCentralCoast portion of the case has been set for September 26, in San Diego. The opening brief describing the petitioners' claims in the lawsuit is available on the KeepAmericaFishing.org Web site.

"The delay in approving the MLPA South Coast regulations should provide some comfort to the many anglers and commercial fishermen who may have had concerns about whether come October 1, they'd be able to fish in their favorite areas," said Bob Fletcher, former president of the Sportfishing Association of California and a plaintiff in the lawsuit. "For example, lobster fishermen can now set traps in areas they have historically used with confidence that they won't be forced off the water on October 1. The outcome of the OAL's questions to the Commission, and eventually the lawsuit itself, may enable anglers to continue to enjoy tremendous fishing."

"Whatever the OAL's issues with the South Coast MPAs may be – we don't yet know what their questions to the Commission are at this point – it is clear to us that these regulations are the result of a flawed process, and should be overturned, said David Elm, chairman of United Anglers of Southern California, also a plaintiff. "I urge all anglers, and anyone who supports public access to public resources, to join our fight against the MLPA process in the courts by visiting www.OceanAccessProtectionFund.org and making a donation today."

Contact: Dave Elm, United Anglers of Southern California, (949) 660-8757

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 PM

SCMO Expert
Keith Poe
Default Re: SoCal MLPA Implementation Delay

While I support the idea of applying intelligent limits to fishing.

X-2 Stan.

Seems to me money and power are in control and allot management is backwards to say the least.

Government will not manage properly and some of the most destructive gear gill nets set and drift owner operators etc. are leading anglers as pawns in my openion when anglers should work to solve over fishing seperate from destructive gear who are largely responsible for over fishing the world over and banned in most of the US.

Government also allows banned long lines to land inside the US to be abble to tax them for each pound landed talk about hypocrites, we have plenty of evidence to show inside or outside the boarders and US EEZ are one in the same fishery.

Government, CA DFG and NOAA AKA NMFS are simply pawns as well in a i want to keep my job reality.

Proper management takes a back seat to profits every time.

Seems to me the ocean resources are still involved in a world war of resource grabs like many wars in history over resources grabs involving land just mainly out of sight and over fishing is caching up exposing this reality and and uneducated anglers are being lead as pawns by wolfs including some angler organisations in my openion who appear to be on the take excepting back room deals in envelopes etc including jumping in the grabbing.

Blows my mind we have WSB pens and still allow gill nets, insanity and angler websites selling destructive gear caught fish to anglers, simply insane.

I belive thease practices are what are driving the politically charged closures because of so much corruption and if you look at google earth oceans layer on google earth 5.0 it shows closures already in place all over the globe laid out in white lines.

So corruption resource grab is world wide and allot of comercial guys cry if we don't get it another country will and then we hear we are the most regulated in the world, guess what it doesn't appear to be enough perhaps remove the destructive gear you think ?

there are also programs from the same political organizations pushing and gaining allot of ground on getting buyers to only purchase sustanibble fisheries caught fish who are impacting destructive gear and is insane in my openion because it is a backwards way of management might as well not have CA DFG & NOAA or wait they are generating revenue in a broke state right.

White (protected supposedly), Mako, blue, thresher and salmon shark nursery and gill nets banned in most of the US are allowed to harvest here and destroy this nursery that is actually a california current fishery nursery for our primary big game species here and NOAA keeps lowering the sustanibble yield levels to my understanding so they can continue to resource grab even with over 80% by catch.

Our fishery is worse and worse every year and colapsed if you consider historic levels.

Really all very simple in my openion, if a resource can stand the presure kill it and grill it and if it can't manage it properly and especially allow any species in question atleast a chance to reproduce before harvest sustanibble fisheries 101 OH! Wait Money right"

Allot of criminals out there on every level and many many Indian pawns.

Allot of the comercial destructive gear is getting around the sustanibble fishery certificates because they own diffrent permits some from sustanibble gear like harpoon verses gillnet and the same owner also owns set gillnet permits.