S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Ask The Experts
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Ask The Experts

Ask The Experts Your chance to get the straight dope from some of our sport's best.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Poonbyfly is on a distinguished road
Default Short rigger or transom

Do you guys here prefer to troll you short lines of the short diggers or off the transom???
Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM

SCMO Expert
Peter Pakula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Short rigger or transom

Depends on what you are running on the line. You do what it takes to get it running as best you can.

If I'm running lots of surface teasers close and want lures close behing I'll run th lures on riggers to keep them seperated to lessen tangles, but choose lures that will run high and close.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Captain Woody Woods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Short rigger or transom

When trolling, we are primarily bait and switch fishing. This means two bridge teasers and one to two teasers off each corner, one of which is always a dredge. This is a lot in the water and a lot to clear when a fish comes up on teasers. I like my "flat lines" (bent butt 80s, sometimes smaller-depending) to actually be my pitch rods, with the baits stored on the outside of the gunwhale in custom made pvc pitch tubes. That way, an angler doesn't have to fool around with grabbing a rod and running to the back of the boat (where he then may still mess up and pitch it right in the wash (where it rolls and may take seconds to get sucked back behind the boat) all the while maneuvering around flat lines and other rods. 3 rods (1 shotgun, 2 longs run from the chair). Always two able bodies in the cockpit at any given time.