Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Communiqués

Communiqués News and information regarding the forums and SCMO in general

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default He's Baaaack ...

It's not really news that I've been something of an absentee landlord for the last few seasons. Life and job and other nonsense have conspired to pull me away from the site, and things have gotten a little stagnant. We've taken quite a hit, both in terms of popularity and prestige, and I'm grateful to the Brackmanns and Pakulas and Sacas and Poes of the world for keeping this place interesting and somewhat relevant to the fishing world in my absence.

But that was then. I'm back, recharged and reinvigorated, ready to take the wheel and hit the throttles. To start, we'll be doing a lot of behind-the-scenes maintenance in the next few weeks, dusting off the place and getting ready to roll. You may find us down for a little while as we update software and such, but fear not - it's all good. We have some system updates to look forward to as well, but more on that as they get closer.
One thing you can look forward to or cringe from, depending on your leanings, is the return of the MarlinBlog. I've had a year and a half to store up humor and snark, and it's time to puke it all back up in the ol' MB …

Looking around, an awful lot has changed while I was gone. We have MLPAs telling us where we can and can't fish, and much like baseball’s strike zone, no one’s really sure where the lines are. The marlin have been MIA for the last two seasons, and I’m not smart enough to say whether they’re gone for good. I certainly hope not, but if they are, then it’s important that we’re here to document the demise.

Another thing I notice is that all the websites I used to think of as competitors have either gone national or gone away. Either of those option results in losing the local focus – something we’ve always been good at. Frankly, I have no desire to follow either of those paths, so we’re going to just do what we do best and fill the voids that they’ve left behind.

Of course, being "the local site" doesn’t mean any lack of interest in the worldwide offshore fishing scene, as any of our visitors from around the globe can attest. While I've been inactive here, I've remained a vital part of the scene, primarily through the many new friends I've made through Facebook and the SCMO fan page. With their help, I've been able to report on the recent world record catches of swordfish in New Zealand and yellowfin tuna in Puerta Vallarta – often well before those other "professional websites. We've always done a good job understanding the proper mix between local and global, and I believe we'll continue to get it right.

So, the new chapter starts. Thanks to those of you who stuck through the "dark ages", and to those who drifted away I promise to do the things needed to bring you back. And to our new friends coming to SCMO through Facebook, congratulations – your timing couldn't be better.

The party starts now …

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.

Last edited by MarlinNut; 04-16-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 PM

SCMO Expert
Keith Poe
Default Re: He's Baaaack ...

Stan this is great news, i can't tell you how much this means to me i really miss acting out cutting up with the guys things have changed so much so fast and i honestly liked them them the way they were seemed like a lot more fun.

Even Though our local fishery can be extremely challenging concerning big game i believe there is still plenty to be learned and tons to still enjoy discussing and even more to learn.

I believe we have species still unproven primarly because of the attitude we already have it all figured out and it's my opinion the more i learn the less i realise we understand and especially just how much there is to learn.

If the economy keeps my fuel bill paid i will be doing my best to discover more trying to keep up with the incredible pace of data collection ad technology and the way i look at it is in the most popular sportfishing locations it's easy to reel fish the local experts put you on top of but you need to be on top of your game in So Cal.

Word is that kid la nina is getting run out of town by ENSO hopefully we will see some warmer water push some fish north in range.

I thought you must have found a new honey hole hideing from us and wondered what here name was ?

Just for fun here is a picture of a So Cal winter spring Marlin Sword fishery is next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 028.JPG (163.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM

MNAC Member
Laner

You were missed. Let's get the men's room back up too! Channel Islands Billfish tournament will be Sept.7th to the 12th this year. We want to organize it this year to include boats from down south that can hook up with an official tournament boat at Catalina and not have to come up to Channel Islands for the shotgun start. More to come.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM

MNAC Member
oliver is on a distinguished road

Me to!

I felt something in my bones tonight and felt like I should check out and old haunt. The marlin bog is back, thank you Stan, the part of my life that has been missing for so long is once again with me.

Its good to have you back and its going to be good to be back.

Look upwards buddy.

Ollie
Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Chief potato-peeler

Location: West coast of the old world, land of cognac and the mighty maigre
SCMO Expert
plankton is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, Stan ! Good luck with the upgrades ....

Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 PM

SCMO Expert
Peter Pakula is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: He's Baaaack ...

I can't find the 'Like' button
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pakula View Post
I can't find the 'Like' button
Actually, that's one of the upgrades I have in work ...

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 AM

RavelTangler is on a distinguished road

Snark me mr. Stan !

(just fun as well as the "Like" button)
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Location: Bay Area and East Cape BCS, CA and B.C.S, USA and Mexico.
Mark Daugherty

Keep up the good work Stan...
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 PM

SCMO Expert
Keith Poe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark daugherty View Post
keep up the good work stan...

x-2