S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Ask The Experts
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Ask The Experts

Ask The Experts Your chance to get the straight dope from some of our sport's best.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 AM

darksiders is on a distinguished road
Default Offset circles for live baiting

Hey all, struggling to find decent offset circle hooks, using owner super mutu 14/0 and 16/0 currently but these have only got around ten degrees of offset on them and they are all offset in the same direction, the reason I ask is a couple of old diggers insist that they run up to near 90 degrees of offset and use that offset to keel trolled baits to thier proper side of the boat and being offset gives them a much larger gape, these guys have caught a lot of fish so I do hold thier opinion highly yet still can't find any hooks to appease the grumpy old bastards.. Hahaha, they are only trying to help me, which they don't have to... Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated,
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann is on a distinguished road
Question Offset circles for live baiting - Please NO!

I see no benefit in using an offset circle hook. It defeats how the hook was / is designed to hook a fish in the corner of the jaw. If you want an offset hook like you describe your friends use, then use a Mustad #7699 which is an offset Southern Tuna shape (7691 style). It was a popular gut hooking shark hook years ago and also used by a lot of the US long line fleet before most switched over to circles.

I would not want my rigged natural bait rolling over to guide it to swim to it's port or starboard side. Do you not have outrigers? I want my swimming baits rigged to run straight and true. A head rigged bait with an offset circle, standard circle, j hook or no hook at all will will not keel the bait to swim left or right anyways..a shorter lead on one side might..and it would also then make the bait spuin and look really bad. Further if you are belly rigging with a circle hook - you are using the wrong hook and if a offset circle or "J" then you really are running the wrong hook.

With bait as you describe you will gut hook a very high percentage of marlin. I personally do the opposite and try my best NOT to ever gut hook billfish. Non-offset circle hooks have reduced my gut hook up rate to less than 1% and at the same time has increased my hook up rate and reduced my fight times at the same time helping me catch far more billfish then back in the day when I used standard hooks with bait.

Let me know what you are trying to accomplish and baits your using so I or others here can be of more help.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by David Brackmann; 11-29-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 PM

darksiders is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Offset circles for live baiting

ok, i will take notes next time i speak with them and post them up here but for now i think i will stick to a straight circle as you say, last thing i want is a lame ass gut hookup, thanks for that, rather discover these things now than when its on the end of my line
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM

SCMO Expert
Hennessy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Hennessy

for circle hooks its hard to top the strength to penetration ratio of Quickrigs super charley browns and charley brown circle hooks

for marlin using small bait like spanish mackerel or small skippies use the 16/0 or 18/0 super charley brown, with bigger baits use the 20/0 or 22/0, remember to leave space from the head of the bait to the hook with your bridle length depending on width of your live baits head so on the blow out after the bite the hook as room to toggle, and make penetration...

for big tunas use the charley browns with the swivel that way you can have baits in your bait tank swimming in circles until deployment without spinning up your leader...

good luck and yes offset is not effecient

mike
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM

Captain Woody Woods is on a distinguished road

Offsetting a circle hook then makes it not a circle hook, and not perform like one. Either use circles, or use Js. Offset circles essentially perform like Js.