S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Welcome Aboard
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > From The Home Office > Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard Introduce yourself to the rest of our community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM

JBOSS is on a distinguished road
Default Trying to set up in the Philippines - Seeking Advice

Have enjoyed most of the comments posted as non member over the years as I love fishing and the search results seem to post this site a lot.
Recently have embarked on a small plan to set up properly to give oneself a chance a at big one in wild Philippines. Would like some of the latest equipment set up info where possible as we are looking to purchase 4 set ups for big marlin.. trolling, baiting.. Most likely fresh dead large flying fish will be our bait along with the small tuna variety. (lure ofcourse as well). We have purchased many big lures from Hawaii and online from the USA. We will take the boat to the pacific side and see what happens. East coast of Philippines is right on the trench.. so there has to be big ones?? Only time will tell.
We need info on;
1) best tuna tube set up
2) best rod and reel and line system / line knot > for lure
3) best rod and reel and line system / line knot > slow troll fresh dead semi large bait set up

We fished a lot, but not specifically for Marlin, ever.
Your comments are appreciated. tku

Last edited by JBOSS; 02-09-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: mis spell
Old 06-17-2014, 05:11 AM

josephtiulee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trying to set up in the Philippines - Seeking Advice

Hi, are you in the Philippine now? I can help, sorry, just read your post now. Joseph Lee
Old 06-21-2014, 01:23 AM

dugong is on a distinguished road

Hi JBoss, and Joseph, I too am based here in the Philippines. This past year I have spent about 80hrs chasing marlin in Luzon on the west coast. So far we have been using skirts with a little success. I am a complete begginer in trolling for marlin, though I have a foundation in 30 years of other forms of fishing behind me. I have been using 50lb stand up set ups, mostly with Pakula, Gary Yamamoto, Minano and a few others. The Pakula and Yamamoto have both given results, but most likely due to the fact that's what I am usually pulling. Strikes I get, but hooking up still alludes me, even though we have watched the marlin hit the lure, so we can confirm 5 marlin strikes so far. We seem to be getting more than our fair share of wahoo for the Philippine waters, and skirts seem to attract better bigger than average wahoo for our waters. Yellow fin strikes have not been common, though we have had a few, and we have also landed Tanigue and sails. Its has been great fun doing this on our own and research and refinement continues, but it would also be great to hear from both of you and your experiences here in the Phils.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hats off to those of you doing the spade work of figuring this area out. A lot of territory seems promising, but in fishing other parts of southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand) I've found billfishing can often be spotty compared to other parts of the world, and commercial pressure very high. Hopefully this won't be the case in the areas you are fishing.

Learning marlin fishing from scratch can be difficult - you need a different sort of focus and patience to other types of fishing - but many of the same principles of fishing apply. dugong, it's great that you have been able to find the fish and get strikes - for most folks, that is the hardest part of the game. Missed hook ups are one of the most discussed aspects of marlin fishing and if you read through the archives you'll find plenty of animated discussion about hooking up or the failure to do so. Good luck with all your efforts and please let us know how you get on.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Hi, just got back from siargao island the other day, we fished for marlins, only one small marlin landed, though we got six diorados of various sizes biggest was 12 kg smallest six kg. we fish for marlins offshore two hrs out at 8 knots trolling speed, yes, we troll on the way out. it's marlin season from may to july, sailfish season is from march to may, troll close to shore with rigged flying fish. for marlins,assortment of skirts are used, from six inch to 14 in. pakulas seem to be the favorite. though, rigged flying fish, still rank no. one as far as strikes are concerned, no less than 50 lbs tackle are used. I'll be back in siargao on the third week of this month. i've fished around the country, Siargao now is my favorite place to be.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Oh yes, yellow fin tunas anytime of the year, though they are most concentrated from june to october, of course, as in all fishing, weather permitting, we fish for tunas at night, though, strikes by trollings by day, are not uncommon. hope this help.