S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Ask The Experts
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Ask The Experts

Ask The Experts Your chance to get the straight dope from some of our sport's best.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Scott fraser is on a distinguished road
Default Soft birds

Hi,I'm running a soft bird about 4 foot in front of a slant faced Bonze angel but I can't keep the bird on the surface anymore. Worked great until a big Blue smashed it... Lost the fish unfortunately.
I was using that set up on the long rigger and the shotgun.
Do the soft birds work better with a cup faced pusher or what? The bird is a 9.5"
If anyone's got some tips I'm all ears

Cheers

Scott
Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soft birds

Scott:

What is the make of the bird? I am not familiar with a 9.5" soft bird. I use at times a 12" wood bird in front of my bridge teasers squid chains on calm days and will at times run a smaller bird like a Marlin Parker one in front of some of my tuna bullets for tuna. I don't run birds in front of my marlin lures much though, as I want the fish focused on the lure only with as minimum amount of the leader in the water to minimize a leader bubble trail. Swivel is always out of the water and less leader as a result of using long stiff outriggers, distance behind the boat, angle of pull from your outrigger paired with the right lure for the type of sea and wind and speed does this. A bird will put that leader laying in the water which might confuse the fish know where the lure ends or is the lure extend to the leader and bird too? Moldcraft's little birds especially with the inner skirt removed can work well on smaller billfish, tuna and dorado. Some put these over their swivel on a wind-on to add action in front of their lures.

Have you tried moving up further away from the lure so that the lure on it's dive won't pull the bird under?

Dave Brackmann
CALIENTE
Cabo San Lucas, MX
Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Chief potato-peeler

Location: West coast of the old world, land of cognac and the mighty maigre
SCMO Expert
plankton is on a distinguished road

I concur with Dave. No birds for me if I'm looking for blues. I'm also not fond of daisy-chains, or big teasers and exciters. I want just four lures out there (or teasers if bait and switching). Let the boat raise the fish and make the spread work for you......

Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM

SCMO Expert
PacoSaca will become famous soon enough

No birds for marlin also here but if your problem is keeping the bird on the water try what Dave says by running it farther away, if that still does not work try lowering the angle... that will keep it swimming for sure.

Never judge the success or failure of your fishing in seconds, minutes, hours, days or even years - but rather by a lifetime of experiences.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Scott fraser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brackmann View Post
Scott:

What is the make of the bird? I am not familiar with a 9.5" soft bird. I use at times a 12" wood bird in front of my bridge teasers squid chains on calm days and will at times run a smaller bird like a Marlin Parker one in front of some of my tuna bullets for tuna. I don't run birds in front of my marlin lures much though, as I want the fish focused on the lure only with as minimum amount of the leader in the water to minimize a leader bubble trail. Swivel is always out of the water and less leader as a result of using long stiff outriggers, distance behind the boat, angle of pull from your outrigger paired with the right lure for the type of sea and wind and speed does this. A bird will put that leader laying in the water which might confuse the fish know where the lure ends or is the lure extend to the leader and bird too? Moldcraft's little birds especially with the inner skirt removed can work well on smaller billfish, tuna and dorado. Some put these over their swivel on a wind-on to add action in front of their lures.

Have you tried moving up further away from the lure so that the lure on it's dive won't pull the bird under?

Dave Brackmann
CALIENTE
Cabo San Lucas, MX
Moldcraft little bird, is what it is sorry. And the standard size... 9.5" I think??
So you say remove the inner skirt, I might give that a try and move further forward over the swivel like you say. A lot of people here in my little town have asked me why would I add an in line teaser and I say why not... Worth a try and as I have read before, they say the little bird will imitate a smaller baitfish fleeing from a larger predator which in turn is apparently irresistible for Mr stickface (or Mrs rather).
I will be out on the water again hopefully in a few days so I will give it a go.