S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Ask The Experts
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Ask The Experts

Ask The Experts Your chance to get the straight dope from some of our sport's best.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 AM

Kadogo is on a distinguished road
Default Small boat for Cabo/Baja..noob...advise please

Hello there...I am currently rebuilding a 22' shamrock predator with the intention of taking it down to mexico and going offshore fishing.
I plan on leaving the boat down there year round and storing it on trailer when I am not there.

I have a million questions but will start with the main ones first;

Does anyone have experience in bringing trailer boats into mexico that can explain the ins and outs of the process...I have searched online but most of the info I find is for larger boats that are not readily trailerable.

Boat set up for fishing?? The boat currently has a hard top with a second station on it and I will have 15' outriggers on it..has stern livewell and for single screw maneuvering has a bow thruster..How many rods should I run??

What size rods should I have on the boat..I have so far..a 30 and 40 marquesa 2 speed, An 80w 2 speed ..I am thinking that 4more 50 class rods would round me out nicely...thoughts??

Downrigger?? not a bottom fishing guy...but do I need one for cabo?? ie slow days ..slow troll live bait??

Electronics...very confusing what do I need ?? trying to keep this part of budget in the 1000-2000 range for chatplotter fishfinder combo

Thats about it for now...will be back with lots of other questions as well

I would also like to thank at this time Peter Pakula for all the great articles on his website... and all the great staff at Black Bart International (especially Gary Jones) learned more from the staff there in a few hours than many days riding around in a charter boat.

Hopefully the research will pay off soon...just have to finish the boat

cheers

"Kadogo" 22' 94 Shamrock Predator
Hopefully headed to Cabo soon!!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 AM

breese11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small boat for Cabo/Baja..noob...advise please

I have a Shamrock 26 LE that is kept in the East Cape at Los Barriles. There are probably 10 Shamrocks up here. They are great for the area. I trailered down on the mainland Highway 15 a four lane all the way to Los Mochis and then took the ferry across to La Paz, easy drive that way. Much more of a challenge coming down on 1 but doable just be careful and take plenty of time.
Make sure to get all you paper work in order and get a temporary import permit at the border as you must havefor the boat.
The 50's are fine but day in and day out probably a little big for stripes,majority of tuna and dorados.
We run five Okuma Makaira 2spd 20's loaded with 100 braid and a 80# topshot and can handlle anything thru blue/black marlin. Consider investing in a set of tuna tubes for live bait fishing, as well as a good bait tank, a downrigger is nice but not imperative.
Any chart/depth/temp will do just make sure to get the right chip.
Good luck