S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
Ask The Experts
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > Ask The Experts

Ask The Experts Your chance to get the straight dope from some of our sport's best.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM

Louis Salatich is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hook up to land ratio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSaca View Post
Erick, the single hook rig you show on your picture is what many call a "broken elbows" rig... not my favorite and I bet not Dave's or Stan's either. Use a semi stiff rig and if you really want to better your odds put a second hook on lures 12" and above
I have always been under the impression that lures swim better with single hook stiff rigs. I noticed in Hawaii many are putting longer skirts, (even on small lures ) on lures with single stiff hook rigs. Any reason this application would not have merits for So. Cal and Cabo?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann is on a distinguished road

Louis:

Most lures will swim better with a single hook than two hooks and even better with no hook at all. The lure's skirt length and weight of the skirt has a direct effect on the action of the lure's head. Think about a lure skirt as a ribbon on the tail of a kite. The longer the ribbon on the tail of the kite the more the kite tends to fly straight (more drag) and when it turns the tail slows the action of the body of the kite. The shorter the tail, the less stable the kite and the more erratic the action of the kite. It is a fine balance. A longer skirt can tame an aggressive angled lure face if that is what you want to accomplish. A longer skirt can also allow a single hook to be placed further back from the lure head to allow a fish more space between the lure head and hook, so that when a fish grabs, bites down (pinches down between its' bills) to crush the lure (as it does to kill a bait fish), the hook is outside the bite and as the fish turns, the drag pressure comes tight and the hook can slide into the corner of the jaw for an outside crossways hooks set, which is a great place to hook a billfish. Think physics and hydrodynamics here when it comes to lures and what you are trying to accomplish in fishing.

Dave
CALIENTE
Old 11-22-2014, 02:42 PM
JC

JC

Hello Dave. I have really been thinking about switching from 2 to 1 hooks. We had very bad "hook retention" last week for the tournament. We lost a second marlin on day 1 ….the marlin grabbed the super project just when we were slowing the boat down to fight a mahi. We had cleared all the lines and started to backup (I think we tried going way to fast) and suddenly line went slack. On day 3 we had a marlin hook to the Legend Lures Andromeda on the short flat….it was a nice fish maybe 600lb-700lb… it hit a weird way from down below almost waiting to swallow the lure as the boat was in a turn at the moment. I think when it sensed the lure was slowing down he had to adjust from down below and wait to the lure to " fall" into its mouth. We got hooked up and got all the lines cleared. We started to back down and the fish started swinging its head above the water and the hook came loose. It could have been also that we fish 50lb outfits maybe not enough drag to sink in the 12/0.

I am trying to get confidence to go to one hook as I hear so much it is better. Apart from an accident we had a year ago with a new mate that came on the boat and got one hook in when a mahi had just hit the deck.

So you are a one hook believer?

Good job on winning the tournament!!!

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hook.jpg (160.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 AM

SCMO Expert
PacoSaca will become famous soon enough

JC, 16# of drag on 50 tackle should be enough to get the hook in... it has always been that way for you man and that will not change. Sometime its just not your day and the hook hits bone, in those cases even 30# won't make it penetrate. You won the tourney two years ago with the same rigs, the fact that you recently lost a couple of fish does not makes a hook rig good or bad, its just Murphy's Law... sh!t happens, too bad it happened to you.

If you want to improve in something then get rid of your Mustads and move to Black Bart's Pa 'a hooks, they are the very best and ready to use out of the box. Super strong, needle eye and reduced barb to allow for better penetration...

Never judge the success or failure of your fishing in seconds, minutes, hours, days or even years - but rather by a lifetime of experiences.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM

SCMO Expert
David Brackmann is on a distinguished road

"It could have been also that we fish 50lb outfits maybe not enough drag to sink in the 12/0"

JC that is a big hook with a lot of steel to set with 50 lb. line. I would suggest using Bart's hook instead of the Mustad #7691 and then going down in size to a no larger than Bart's 11/0 as your largest hook. 9/0 to 10/0 is a good size for most lures in the 12" - 14" length. You don't need a big hook to catch marlin with lures, but you need one with the best shape to hold, best point type to dig in and then not tear a large hole to fall out of and also one that is strong and not too thick of steel for it's size to make it hard to penetrate.

There is nothing wrong with a double hook rig with the right hook and size on your big 16" short corner lures. They have plenty of action close to the boat and depending on the bite, you may get a higher hook up rate with them depending on if the fish are taking lure on a going away bite and the lure is run off the rod tip or if you are running from a short rigger line to allow a fish to grab and turn and then come tight. I prefer single hooks on my longer lures as they allow the lure more action which can produce more bites plus if set up right with drag pressure at the reel, clip setting and amount of drop back produce a higher hook up rate for me then the same lure run with double hooks. Definitely a higher hook up rate with smaller lures I find.

Dave
Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 AM
JC

JC

Thanks for both your inputs Paco and Dave. I agree sometimes you just have rubber hooks and sometimes they all stick. Both of you coincide in Barts hooks. That is something I will start slowly replacing I have a lot of Hooks it will be $$$ ;-). Also I used to have my corner rods that I fish out the rod tip setup with hollow braid and 80lb line to have a higher drag setting for those bigger hooks… I might look into going back to this setup. We would have had a battle with that Big fish we had the last day with 50lb.

Dave BTW do you fish roller trollers or what type of clip? Whats your clip real ease setting? I fish with the Roller Trollers I like that I can adjust the distance but I do realize I dont adjust the real ease setting with a scale but "by feel". I won't ask Paco as I know his setup well. ;-)

Thanks

JC