S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 AM

snuggles
Talking Nice Blue marlin - 1386lbs

"Kona, HI Guy Kitaoka and Darrell Omori on the Dayna (21′ Skiff) have weighed an absolute monster of a Blue Marlin in at 1,368 lbs. The fish had a 150 Short Measurement and an 83 Girth Measurement and a 22.5 Tail Measurement. Capt. Bomboy Llanes assisted in getting the fish to the scale. This is the 8th Largest Blue Marlin caught in Hawaii and the first over 1,300 lbs. since 1992 (1,356 on Spellbound). This is the 4th Grander on the Big Island in 2015."

Kona, HI – 8th Grander of the Year
Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 PM

bmoody is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nice Blue marlin - 1386lbs

Why did it have to die? Was anything really gained by killing it?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut

Not sure why folks are celebrating a fish harvested using an electric reel, either.

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoody View Post
Why did it have to die? Was anything really gained by killing it?
The guys were out to catch fish to eat (albeit they probably didn't anticipate something that size). As for what can be gained from killing it - besides what they could sell it for - kudos, of course. In places where big marlin are fished for anyone who brought in a 1368 pound fish would be pretty much become an instant legend, IGFA or no IGFA. How many famous places have even weighed in blue marlin that size? The acclaim of other fishermen, the distinction of having weighed in one of only a tiny number of blue marlin over 1200 lbs, those are/can be powerful reasons.

I note this fish was caught on a live skipjack and that two of the 1,400 lb fish caught in Kona also took live baits (not to mention the Choy fish which some claim ate a hooked yellowfin). Makes one wonder how effective lure fishing is for the super-grander class of fish?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:51 AM

snuggles
Lightbulb Re: Nice Blue marlin - 1386lbs

Its just good to know that some of these big fish exist still when you look at its not every day someone catchs one. After all is it the recreational fisher doing the damage or the commercial. If it was 100kg no one would notice.

If it was me id have to battle the do I take it or let it go in my head. Alot want to tag them and rightly so. Id wonder how many small ones this fish would have if i let it go etc. In this case it was for food not a trophy and the like.

I still dont see why we get upset when people take a single large fish. ie for a competition we tag most and only take one every now and then that would be a record or to win a competition or maybe to eat.

I have let marlin go in a competition that would have won or come close. Its something Im sure alot ponder.

The frustration is you see commercial fishermen dumping them at a tip because they didnt get enough money to freight them to market and you wonder why ?

Also the value to the local economy when you catch something like this they would surely gain as others would want to go fishing in that location.

But that said I have seen a few large blues 400kg - 450kg+ hanging caught on lures homemade and professionally made.

I think the thing is you can cover more ground on lures. Livebait its alot slower but good when you locate them I dont mind doing it but alot have reasons against doing this as well.

Last edited by snuggles; 08-09-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:22 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the 2000+ lb have gone the way of the dinosaur (maybe?), but there must still be some fish around that would break records - that 670 kg fish from Tahiti was caught just five years (?) ago. I wonder how many of the big fish stories every year (I've heard some cracking ones over the years as I'm sure all of you have...) involve fish that size? It must be nearly as hard to hang on to something that size as to cross paths with it though. If it hadn't been hooked on an electric reel I wonder what their chances would have been - even on 130 class gear cranked in the rod holder it would have been difficult. Let's hope parts like the ear bones and ovaries get to scientists - it would be really interesting to know how old these big fish are (would this 1368 lb fish be older than the 1226 lb caught earlier this year or has it just packed on more weight?), and whether they are still fecund.

Lure fishing covers more ground, yeh, but how effective are your boat and lures in raising deep fish? How many fish, marlin and tuna, do you mark but can't raise? Also, unless you put a big lure on every rod, are the typical lures we use the right lures for targeting fish like that? (appreciating that only 0.0001% of anglers would be wanting to target a fish like that...) When they're that big, are they even eating the same bait as fish in the 600 to 800 pound class? Maybe trolling dredges with mudflaps sized like 60-80 lb tunas could be the ticket....hmmm.... It's true that here in the atlantic all the really big fish have come on artificials, but then at least in the destinations I've visited/fished it's rare to see serious effort with live bait. I've spoken to market fishermen who have caught really nice ones on live bait, and I remember Bart saying he'd like to use a live white marlin in places like the Azores...

ps. 400-450+kgs - was this in Ozz or elsewhere?

Last edited by dustin; 08-10-2015 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:09 PM

snuggles

dustin - Australia
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Birdman

Look closely its not a blue its a black marlin !
Also they said it was a kane (male) not female hows that!
We eat the Marlin so no waste! Also the chances this big boy to survive kinda slim! Sharks would be on it in a heart beat even if it would survive!

Last edited by Birdman; 08-12-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:39 PM

Spicerman is on a distinguished road

Hi new to this Club. Have a few questions.
1) What size reel and what lb test line should be used for an average 500lb Marlin?
2) how much braided line should be used?
3) how much Mono line should be used before the braided?
4) how much wire leader after the Mono?

Nigel
Trinidad