S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 PM

jtdundee is on a distinguished road
Default Just joined...Marlin off Naples?

I just joined and am interested in exploring far offshore of SW florida for Marlin and other pelagics. From Naples, the edge of the shelf is as far west as it is to go south to the Keys or Tortugas, but there's lots of pressure in the keys and its hard to find anyone who'll make the run over 100 miles or so due west. I'd appreciate any comments or experience anyone can share.
Thanks.
JT

BTW...I also own a fly fishing lodge in the Canadian Rockies.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 AM

bmoody is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just joined...Marlin off Naples?

I would think about what or where you really want. Is avoiding the pressure worth the added cost of fewer guys going to share the cost? I would guess the pressure is more directed at others species than marlin in the keys.

Is trailering an option to cut down your 100 mile run?
Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM

jtdundee is on a distinguished road

Thanks BMoody,
It's easier to take the boat than to trailer from Naples...there's some big marlin tournaments out of Key West...we got second on a friends boat in the first annual Drambouie marlin tournament...but success rates are low and most people are targeting dolphin. I'm interested in finding more productive territory and learning the best techniques from people on this forum. There are some ridges and canyons along the edge of the shelf southwest of Naples, but its a long enough run to keep most from going. I'd bet there are some nice Blue's along the Florida Canyon and that area that are rarely fished!
J
Old 02-14-2016, 04:15 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

From the posts contributed by (Frank) Headhunter and Xanadu here in the past, it does seem the Gulf Coast fishery is somewhat different to the Florida Gulf Stream. There's probably still a lot of info in their posts that would be relevant to your area, although they're fishing further to the northwest and the seasonal timing of what happens in your area could be a little different. That is an extremely long run to get to the grounds you want to fish though; good looking though they are. Over the years, as fishing grounds have gotten more and more crowded, I've come to really appreciate the times when I had the fishing grounds all to myself, but that's a very high price in fuel and time you would have to pay for that privilege. Would it be practical to start your run from Key West?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 AM
its all good....

donaken is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast fishing the GOM, unless your launching proximity is around the delta or s Texas, it's 100mi to the shelf and another +mi to the floaters, typical trip breaking the jetties by 6pm, 10kt til daybreak, if going deep, firewall it for an hour or so at first light, fish 3/5 days til dark, point it north and 10kt til daybreak, then blow the soot out...generally in the slip by 9...most important, be prepared and don't get in a hurry...unless you have a fat money fish in the boat
Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 AM
pje

pje is on a distinguished road

Hey JT , have you made any trips or planning one anytime soon ? I'd be very interested in going if you need a spot filled . Was thinking about doing a trip out there after I get another boat and get it sorted out . I hadn't really thought much about the GOM until I found this thread , now it's something I really want to do . anyone trolling the steps or elbow or middle grounds in the gulf? - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

I have been on many otherside YFT trips off the east coast , but still haven't accomplished my goal of catching a Blue off of Florida . Hopefully one day soon .
Old 07-08-2016, 06:36 PM

Spicerman is on a distinguished road

Hi new to this Club. Have a few questions.
1) What size reel and what lb test line should be used for an average 500lb Marlin?
2) how much braided line should be used?
3) how much Mono line should be used before the braided?
4) how much wire leader after the Mono?

Nigel
Trinidad
Old 07-20-2016, 01:37 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Nigel,

Just saw your post. If you're from Trinidad it would be a good idea to contact Frothy de Silva who's from your area (Tobago actually but not too far away - although currently fishing in Europe). He's got loads of experience and would be a great source of advice. There used to be a number of other fishermen in your area posting on this site including Travis Ali. I have also met Albert Battoo who is from your home island - he works in Panama but from what I can understand, is back on holidays. Most game fishing/boat owning communities are quite small and the guys helpful with info to do with tackle and setups (maybe not so where fish are actually being caught).

Generally speaking I am now using shorter monofilament topshots nowadays, from 125 to 150 yards (I used to use more like 200). The reel ends up being around three quarters to four fifths full of braid, either dacron or superbraid depending on the size of the reel and what it's being used for. Wire isn't required for marlin except for a short piece between the two hooks if you're using a two-hook rig, or between head and hook if you're using a single hook.

cheers
dustin