S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 06:22 PM

bmoody is on a distinguished road
Default Moldcraft skirt shredded - what to do?

Is there anything to be done for a Moldcraft head that has the outer skirt torn/cut off?

This weekend I had a 'cuda grab my senior WR and, of course, it was the outer skirt that took the damage, not the inner, and easily replaced inner skirt.

I've tried on an older standard WR to put two inner skirts, one the outer color and then one to be the inner skirt. However, I'm not sure that lure catches as well now as it did when running the normal single inner skirt with the outer molded as part of the head.

Did I see on here once that Roddy Hayes had an insert that would let a moldcraft head carry 'normal' skirts?

Is the real answer that I just need to get more confident in putting my mini-flat 1656 in the water?
Old 06-09-2016, 05:30 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moldcraft skirt shredded - what to do?

How badly is the outer skirt damaged - a few strands missing or totally shredded? If it still runs well, it'll probably still get bites.

Re skirting - P.B.W (high priest of moldcraft) is on record as saying "I only ever use a single skirt on Mold Craft lures. When too many dingle dangles are cut off cut them all off and glue the inside skirt in place."

I can say though - the fit of the inner skirt in the Standard size wide range is pretty poor, at least on the example I purchased in Florida. The inner skirt of the Senior size fits much better.

In any event, they're cheap enough (in the States anyway) that if the head/outer skirt combo gets too badly damaged you can just trash the lure and put out a new one. Save the head for me if you would - I'd rather like to mold a "hard head"...
Old 06-09-2016, 03:17 PM

bmoody is on a distinguished road

The one in the worst shape is a standard size. The senior only lost a few strands -- this time. The standard got wrecked the first time it was in the water some years back in the Bahamas. I've got a new standard I could just rig up, but was trying to get by on the "triple skirted" one.

I'll save it for you if I give up on it, and can't get the Legend Lures shoulder. However, Roddy and his distributor have responded, so I have hope. On the other hand, maybe I should just send you the standard -- even if I get the shoulders, I can just save them for "next time".

Last edited by bmoody; 06-09-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 AM

MNAC Member
UKChris

I have a black over orange senior WR where the head has come away from the outer skirt. It still runs OK and I could - perhaps should - glue it back in place. The point is that the lure is in three separate pieces: the head and the outer skirt glued together and a loose inner skirt. The outer skirt is identical to an inner skirt - why make two separate sizes if one will be enough (which is why the inner skirts don't fit too neatly).

So, if you peel apart the head and the skirt carefully to avoid splitting the head, you can simply glue another inner skirt of whatever colour you fancy in its place.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Syed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoody View Post
Is there anything to be done for a Moldcraft head that has the outer skirt torn/cut off?

This weekend I had a 'cuda grab my senior WR and, of course, it was the outer skirt that took the damage, not the inner, and easily replaced inner skirt.

I've tried on an older standard WR to put two inner skirts, one the outer color and then one to be the inner skirt. However, I'm not sure that lure catches as well now as it did when running the normal single inner skirt with the outer molded as part of the head.

Did I see on here once that Roddy Hayes had an insert that would let a moldcraft head carry 'normal' skirts?

Is the real answer that I just need to get more confident in putting my mini-flat 1656 in the water?
Here's mine that's still catching fish for me... It's a standard wide range with almost half of the outer skirt gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4115-2.jpg (146.4 KB, 10 views)