S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2016, 08:37 AM
JC

JC
Default Windons for 50's

Hello Guys. Long time no posts!!! Wanted to hear your opinions what the recomended breaking strenght windons are for 50lb gear for marlin fishing (tiagra 50's W). Thanks!! JC
Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 AM
JC

JC
Default Re: Windons for 50's

Any help? We currently have the 50 Tiagras with double line and 3 arm lenghts leaders on my lures. We are using the Penn ARA 80-130 rods with the normal guides. I think the windon can help when we are shorhanded and I like the idea of having less leader on the deck. Thanks for your comments I really apreciate them.
JC
Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 PM

bmoody is on a distinguished road

Pure speculation -- my 50s are TLD LRS, and I don't actually fish windons (but I have considered them).

Assuming you're fishing 50 class line, if it were me I'd go with 150 or 200 class windon leader material. That would let you go to sunset once you had the windon on the reel, but wouldn't be completely out of context with your main line. I can't imagine 400 class windon on a 50, it would eat so much space and unless you're fishing nearly full spectra I'm not sure you could really pull against it.

Keep in mind I've only caught a couple marlin under Dustin's watchful eye on another guy's tackle. I mostly fish 30lb tackle for small tuna and dolphin, with the rare sailfish bycatch.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:36 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Saludos amigo! Good to hear from you and congratulations on your latest tournament win. I'd love to read a report on how it went out there! Are you still fishing that lovely 31 bertram or something bigger now?

With the experience you must have now, it's most of us that should probably be asking you for advice... I just want to note that even a bimini twist double line in 80 lb mono can have a difficult time going through the standard Aftco guides, so if you use a windon the connections will need to be very clean. When you say you're shorthanded, how many would be on the boat - just you and Robby?

cheers
dustin
Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 AM

MNAC Member
UKChris

Dustin's right. The limiting factor will be the clearance through the guides. You can certainly use 1.80mm mono wind-on and possibly 2.00 or even a touch thicker and that would be plenty of abrasion resistance (you'll never pull hard enough to snap it). But, the wrapping over the dacron over the mono has to be super-slim or it will jamb. Rigging floss (80lb) will be too thick; 35lb might be ok; waxed dental floss will be better but being so thin it takes ages to half-hitch several inches to cover the joint.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:57 PM
JC

JC

Thanks for the replies guys and thank you Dustin for the congratulations. Weve been trying to improve every year. Thanks to God and the information learned from this site and Paco who has allways shared information we have been able to get good results in the last couple of years. We got 3rd in 2010, 1st in 2012 and now 1st in 2016. Still have loads to learn and the most important have fun.

And YES we are still fishing the White Marlin.... the same Bertram 31 which I hope to have for many years to come Will try and post a report as soon as I get some free time.

Most of the time I have enough experienced people on board that we can use the standard leader setup that i have used in the past and I feel comfortable with the people leadering etc.. . I guess this year we had an experience which made me doubt my setup. We hooked a very nice marlin the first day of the tournament at around 1pm. We were very far out. The Marlin did not jump alot and ran during hookup which I guess contributed to it maintaining its full strenght. We got very close to the leader in the first 20-25 minutes but when we made our move on it to back up the boat and grab the leader it went down...I think it got spooked with the engines and props.... To make long storys short we fought this fish for about 1:40 minutes. We tried changing the angles on the line, we circled it, etc... the 50lb outfit would not bring it up. We decided by that time that if we were not agressive with the drag or thumbing the spool we did not have time to run back and be back by 5:30 so we would be DQ'd anyway. The double line was maybee 10-15 foot from the boat when on the upward stroke that dreaded noise..... the line broke. Some of the fisherman who where with me and fish in the US where saying that if we would have had windon we could have made the windon come on the reel to have the release count. I still have my doubts to this setup as I remember reading some of the disadvantages of windons including having the lure so close to the fish could act as a lever to have the hooks thrown out. I need to search and refresh some of this info.....

Curious to hear your comments. Something I could do is get 2 new rods for the corner baits and use windons on those and see how I like it...

Thanks!!! JC

P.D. Thank God Day 2 we had an awesome bite tagging and releasing 3 in a matter of about 3 hours.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:00 AM

dustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JC ... I was lucky enough to catch 3 pacific blue marlin in a day on a 31 bertram like yours (much more beaten up - lodge boat at TSL) but never in a tournament!

The issues you had with that first fish seem more to do with having to angle a difficult fish on 50 rather than the actual leader construction. If you're using say a 22 foot leader and can't get closer than say 30 feet to the fish, it won't matter if it's a wind-on or not. I'm guessing you were using 50 for extra tournament points and you did end up winning so your strategy worked out in the end.