S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Syed is on a distinguished road
Default Best Mono for Marlin

Hi I am looking to upgrade my 30 two-speeds with new line to replace the 80lb crappy Chinese 8-strand braid I had filled them up with.

This is what I intend to do:
I am thinking of ordering some 65# JB Line One solid braid and use 600yds as backing on my two reels. I intend to topshot it with 200-300 yds 50# mono. I use these reels offshore.

What 50# mono would be the best choice, with an actual BS of 60+ ? (Keep in mind JB breaks at 90+)

I am currently considering these options but any new one would be welcome that would do the job. 1. Momoi Hi-Catch, 2. Trilene Big Game. I already have two 1/4# spools of Big Game (275yds each.) I also see Berkley ProSpec as a lower diameter option but don't know much about the line.

Is there any low dia mono that is suitable for billfish? I am also considering the option to use only mono if I can get 600+ yds of 50# on my 30's

Thanks.

PS. I know most of you big game fishermen out there would want to suggest hollow-core JB instead of solid, but that is currently beyond my budget.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:09 PM

bmoody is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Mono for Marlin

Hi catch would be fine, but I've been using Moimoi Diamond, but it isn't "thin". I've been quite pleased. I'm sure other major brand would be fine too. In other applications I've had great luck with Ande.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Syed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Mono for Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoody View Post
Hi catch would be fine, but I've been using Moimoi Diamond, but it isn't "thin". I've been quite pleased. I'm sure other major brand would be fine too. In other applications I've had great luck with Ande.
Thank you.