S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2002, 12:21 AM

KauaiDan
Default Papa made it on the Board....

Well... his Team did :)

I have to admit, I Smiled inside when I saw it....
just knowing he is out there is cool, seeing they caught their bite, `cooler.

http://www.inthebite.com/bahamas/ber...02/index.shtml

I'm pretty sure he said he's fishin the "Mega Blue".
Good Luck the next two days....we're Watching

[font size = 1]Dan
Plenty mo fo`learn[/font]

Old 05-10-2002, 07:11 AM

SCMO Expert
PacoSaca will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Papa made it on the Board....

[font color=navy blue]We are all hoping for someting even cooler for today and tomorrow... who knows... just one blue away of first place!!!

Go Pa Pa!!![font size=1][font color=gray] (and team)[font size=2][font color=navy blue] we are counting on ya!!!
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot...ame/l12461.jpg
Paco Saca[font size=1]
Life's Short, Fish hard...

Never judge the success or failure of your fishing in seconds, minutes, hours, days or even years - but rather by a lifetime of experiences.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:49 AM

holdemhook

Yes, He is fishing a New 60 Bertram Mega Blue. It is nice to see them up there.

Go PaPa !
Old 05-10-2002, 11:37 PM

KauaiDan

`shoots, looks like some tough fish`n...
couple fair fish, bet some might kick themselves in the bottom if they lose by 60 - 80 points cause they killed a 400ish fish...

lots a blanked boats....

Still pretty open, looks like Anyone can take it tomorrow....

[font size = 1]Dan
Plenty mo fo`learn[/font]

Old 05-11-2002, 03:12 AM

Jon Petterssen

Ok Papa you have proved they are there guess it is time to bring on the "bet the barn combo"or if the going gets really tough you could mebee try won oh dem Akana tings.My guess is you is switch bait'n but just my guess.W'ere rootin for ya.so just.....

Take care & be lucky Jon
Old 05-11-2002, 08:05 AM

SCMO Expert

[font color=navy blue]Tough right Dan... I tink da same... guesstimates are crucial on a tourney layed out like dat, da limit has bin well placed at 500 ;)

Get da "bet the barn combo" out o beta yet mix with da Big Reidees as JP says, I know you got dem BR's with you Pa Pa... use`em.

I give ya a trick Pa Pa... ya say outloud ya'll give up feesheen fo` golfing... den da feesheen gods hear an sen feesh `fo ya, dey did fo`me!
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/flag2/sv.gif Paco Saca[font size=1]

Never judge the success or failure of your fishing in seconds, minutes, hours, days or even years - but rather by a lifetime of experiences.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:01 PM

holdemhook

Hello Gentlemen,

Depending on how the tounament calcutta is set up, those 400 + lb. fish could mean BIG money for the daily, or the over all heaviest fish. Usually the calcutta money is bigger than the tournament purse itself. I'll see if I can find out how this tournament has it set up.

catch'em up,

chris
Old 05-12-2002, 06:59 PM

SCMO Expert

[font color=navy blue]You are right Chris...

I was thinking and the only reason for those fish to be boated must have been the $$$CALCUTTA$$$, certainly they were over the 99" minimun required... I remember the one time I took part at the Bacardi Billfish Tournament at Bimini the Calcutta was over $250,000.00

Just checked the results and lady luck did not visit Pa Pa's team again after opening day's fish, but I also saw there were many boats that did not even see a fish during the three fishing days of the tourney.

Let's wait for Pa Pa to post the full story on Monday...

Old 05-13-2002, 10:56 AM

SCMO Expert
Capt. Bart Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Aloha Scmo's,
First off let me thank all of you for your support and concern.

The Bertam Hatteras shoot out is a class act, for me once again it was a priviledge, and genuine honor to share the seas with such talented men, and women along with the thrill of just looking at these big sports machines, let alone riding on one, or in control of a mega sportfisher turning out 6000 horse power. This great tournamet in its 23rd. year is also a showcase for the new models like the new 57 foot Bertram or its big sister the new radical 67 foot Bertram, along with the competition Hatteras show casing their dream machines, convertibles, and closed air conditioned bridges. These racy,
bodacious crafts lack nothing in pure luxury or technology.
The electronics alone can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Radars that can detect flocks or birds, depth sounders that pierce the deepest of blue water and track individual fish and bait schools, chart plotters that give you a simulated 3/d view of the bottom. Satellite phones that will connect you to any one any where, also computers that feed information as to currents, water temperature or just about any and all information you might enjoy or require. High tech, high thrills, and money befitting the kind of people whose private jets wait near by at the local Marsh Harbor air port. In some cases even mega yachts moored along side of a 90 foot Sportfisher.The Mega Yacht is used as a home away from home, social functions, cocktails, dinning, or just shooting the sh-t.

I was aboard the 60 foot "Mega Blue" owners SCMO's Gary Tullias, and brother Jack Tullias who is the owner of JetShare US., he flew our crew Mitch Scherfer (past winner of the B&H shoot out)
Capt. Scott Levins, one of the best in the business, always a major threat to fish and competition) then there was me a bit silver and stiff, our pilot Mike Mitera also crewed and angled, along with Michael Brown of Arizona and Cabo. This team had it all as a figure of speech, youth, talent, experience, the will to win, the money to support the effort. Our gear could have won first prize in a fleet contest, new upgraded Accurate 130 reels,
5ea., New Black Bart J&M deluxe 130 rods, lures-hooks-leaders-swivels-line-it all came together.

We arrive Monday- fished on Tuesday and Wednesday, catching only Mahi Mahi- & Wahoo's, no Marlin bites,
Thursday through Saturday the stage was set for this major tournament to enfold, and it did. Our team decided that we would live bait if given the chance as the overall bite was so dastardly slow. First day Thursday we got punched by several Mahi
Mahi of good size and a couple of deep water Wahoo. Later in the afternoon off Man of War cut, we spotted birds working the pocket, we reeled in all of our lures, and put out two bait lines, we promptly caught a perfect 7 lb. Oceanic Skip Jack, The bait holding pocket has amazing depth changes in close proximity to each other such as 28 fathoms to 100 fathoms. Mitch bridle rigged the Aku with a 12/0 hook, the wind-on was a 900 lb. trace, for me it seemed a bit too much. We trolled the bait out to 200 fathoms where it drops off again, trolling valves kept the boat speed at just below 2knots. The water was a deep inky blue purple, the tide was falling, the wind was tolerable, seas 3 to 5 feet. Mitch had made a trailing drop back and then he held the bitter end as a human out rigger,
this is the best way to make the most of your bites, as the human instant response to action is unequalled, he alerted us to a nervous bait, then posed like a pointing bird dog followed with a loud direction "STRIKE" Mitch released the line to the bait he was holding, the drop back paid out quickly, our angler Jack Tullias set the hook with 30lbs of drag thus hooking the fish solid. The blue showed him self quickly throwing white water in all directions, head thrashing and pissed off. We knew that it would not be easy to measure this fish to see if it made the bench mark 99 inches required. No truer words were spoken, try as we may we could not get the tape to produce more thank 97 1/2 inches, the fish was going to fatigue more if we continued to stress him so we let him go, he swam away with authority brightly lit up. The live bait technique had produced a Blue Marlin in just under 30 minutes of putting a bait in the zone, we felt we were really on to something. We agreed to troll more live bait, and finish our day out live baiting, we did and it only produced one more strike which was a medium size bull shark.

Day two Friday we did a mixed bag of bait fishing and lure trolling trolling. We caught the ususual Mahi Mahi.

Day three final day we trolled a live yellow fin tuna 14 lbs. we trolled this strong healthy beautiful creature in 2000 fathoms, one thousand fathoms and all other water in between, finishing in 200 fathoms of water surrounded by birds porpoise, flying fish and other tuna, it looked fantastic, very promising, alas we heard the words stop fishing, stop fishing. The top three fish were two over 400lbs. and a late catch on the last day of 640+ which took home all the marbles. They found the fish off the humps in a temperature break, it was all smiles after that.

My only regret was not having my tuna tubes, I brought pretty much everything but, the tubes would have helped us with position and extra bait when you need it. One thing for certain is you learn to love these big ole boats especially in the seas we have to fish them, the last two days were strong gusting winds, with big rollers, these big girls are rough riders that get you there and back, and keep you where the fish are, simply amazing.

Some of the top crews and Captains could not buy a bite, Andy Moyes and Schatman were just two of them, but for all it was great competition, good sportsmen, and machines to die for. Our group made it for me one of the best weeks of my life. Each one of the men were thoughtful, hard working, friendly, generous, and full of good spirits and wit.

Looking back what did I learn while being 5 days on the water,
number one, that I can still get to the other side if I set my mind to it, also that this kind of love does not go away, I am already making plans for my next adventure. Plans are to do some video work in the Bahama's and to fish the "WORLD CUP" fourth of July tournament. Great fishing, papa
Old 05-13-2002, 03:14 PM

SCMO Expert

[font color=navy blue]Thank you for sharing Pa Pa... I'm glad you enjoyed doing what you like best...

Remember, October=El Salvador