S C M O
Advertise Your Product at SCMO
S C M O
The Offshore Angler's Online Home ©
The Marlin Club
MarlinNut Forums  

Go Back   MarlinNut Forums > The Forums > The Marlin Club

The Marlin Club The one and only - better than ever! C'mon in and pull up a stool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2002, 05:32 AM

sean
Default Lures, Yet Again

Guys, if you had to run a spread of five lures in your favourite fishing hole for marlin, what would they be ? Sounds easy, doesn't it ? However, there's a catch. You can only choose ONE lure from each manufacturer. One Bart, one Pakula, One Zuker one Moldcraft, etc etc. If you can say where you're fishing, what marlin you're targeting, the weather you'd LIKE to be running them in, and then give us the spread, that'd be cool. Oh, and - if you have the inclination - what you'd like each lure to be doing, that would be fascinating too. Here's what I'd do for me for example.

East Australia,Over the back of the Canyons. The spread is geared towards Blues. Weather I'd like would be a light swell with 10 knots of breeze, 1' chop on top.

SHORT BAIT: Marlin Magic Big Dog - what I call a medium size BIG lure. Can be made to do a lot of different things with height. It can be a pusher or a swimmer or even a tube

LONG CORNER: Andromeda from Legend Lures: awesome smoke trail, gets down a long way and the hook-up ratio is unbelievable.

LONG RIGGER: J.Y. Apollo, Tinker's original Dingo or Joe Yee Super Apollo. All relatively short headed lures that track straight and cleanly. Great hook-up ratio again

SHORT RIGGER: Abaco Prowler or Marlin/Grander Candy- Good smoke trail whilst easy to eat.( Oz Prowler has also worked there for me in the past).

SHOTGUN: Moldcraft medium super-chugger in pink. A consistent actioned lure and always a good bet as an alternative.

If you have different spreads for different places, let's have them too !
This isn't meant to be a thread just about patterns or harmonics, It's more what people want from their lures and head shapes to be doing in different positions and justifying their reasoning behind it.
It'll be interesting to see what different people from around the world want and expect from their lures...............

Regards
Sean}> :+ :P

P.S...I would like to have many other lures in the spread as well, Only the Andromeda,(switch to short rigger) and Big Dog would stay,Would and could slot Brasiliano, Tube,Ruckus, 1656,Wide Range, Super Plungers etc...in some positions, Mine is just an example and the rules meant, one lure from each manufacturer

Old 08-26-2002, 03:51 PM

sponge
Default RE: Lures, Yet Again

This lure spread is one any place with big blues:

Short corner- JP lunger (this masterpiece is always in my starting line no matter what)

Long corner: Black on Black senior wide range(Buckwheat)

Short rigger: Marlin Magic Ruckus( rooster tail your way to a chunky Blue)

Long Rigger: Barts Oz prowler(This reverse taper gets the blues attention than any pakula I have trolled

Shotgun:Joe Yee baby plunger

a spread for success
Old 08-27-2002, 05:13 AM
Chief potato-peeler

Location: West coast of the old world, land of cognac and the mighty maigre
SCMO Expert
plankton is on a distinguished road

Boy oh boy, Sean,

I thought that everyone would have jumped on this topic !! Hmm, it’s a difficult one to answer though. Lemme see.

Spread one (Madeira, flat calm with wind ripple, big old blue girls) :

SC : JY 505. Nice medium size bait (going by today’s standards) which can do a lot of different stuff.
LC : Sadu Calcutta. Atypical [sic] plunger action, run high to give it lots of swim and dive.
SR: Merlin from Legend Lures (tracks straight, easy to eat, long smoke trail)
LR : Bart’s 1656 (angled). No need to say why !
SG : Small tube from Marlin Magic, NOT on a wind-on, but a full-length lightish leader. Put out there for the fading, sluggish fish.

Spread two (Azores, Canaries - maybe anywhere where the big old girls roam. Calm, open ocean with swell and movement):

SC : Marlin Magic Big Dog. More stable than the 505 and able to both push and dive according to height.
LC : Andromeda from Legend Lures. Stays put all day long, raises fish all day long.
SR : Bart’s Grander Candy. Big fish love it ! Gets on DOWN…………
LR : Joe Yee Apollo or Sadu’s small Calcutta (can’t remember what it’s called properly, sorry Sadu !). I also like Tinker’s Dingo too, but you can’t get it anymore.
SG : C&H Flame - light enough to stay on top and still smoke like hell, or maybe a Tinker Springbok, a small active swimmer.

Spread three. Rough open ocean with white water (and big girls about somewhere) but ya gotta go - even if you do spend all day just inside the door drying out.

SC: Bart’s Grander Candy. It’ll stay there all day long until it disappears !
LC: The Andromeda again. It’ll do the same.
SR: Marlin’s Big Mickey Jet, or maybe a medium plunger from Joe Yee.
LR: C&H Hacksaw. It’ll stay down, run all day long and is still easy to eat. Needs the rough water to work properly, in my opinion, but it’s a great choice for that position in that weather. A lumo Sprocket from Pakula would also be excellent.
SG: wouldn’t run one on a day like this. Hell, I might even take one of the other baits out of the water if I’m short-handed !

Other spare lures (one from each manufacturer) in bag to take on boat would have to include Sponge’s choice of a Lunger (I love this lure too, though I run it on the LC), a Frankenstein from Legend Lures, Bart’s Marlin Candy, Ruckus from Marlin Magic, Smokey Joe from Joe Yee, a Mouldcraft Hooker (still my favourite softhead), Pakula’s Smoking Joe, an LNG2 from Murrays, and last, but not least - a Black Reidee. Can’t leave home without one.

There’s a host of other manufacturers out there but I don’t know their lures. Those who do will enlighten us no doubt, particularly guys/gals from Hawaii (Ron, Dan, Chip ??). Dustin has a couple of nice little lures too.

My, that was difficult. I would sincerely love to know what Bart and Mr. Pakula would run under these restrictions.

Roddy

Old 08-27-2002, 06:14 AM
Ancient Member

MNAC Member
RavellingTangler

I'm surprised this hasn't prompted more postings from captains of the caliber of Bart and plankton.

I am not experienced enough to suggest spreads, but something springs to mind [would this be a separate topic?] :

If you are a skilled captain doing switch and bait, what teasers would you drag where (for the occasions covered above) and of what would your various dredges, spreaders and daisy chains consist ?

Or IS IT LESS IMPORTANT than the choice of lures set out to be eaten ? ;)
Old 08-27-2002, 09:24 AM

SCMO Expert
Capt. Bart Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Aloha,
Oh yes, let me see here, "so many lures" so little time, mmmmmmmm
what to use? Guess it really doesn't matter there all like Pizza's just the same, or like women, they are all the same as well.

Since I have laid the proper ground work then it should be safe for me to pick a spread. Starting with the shot gun position I would pick an oldie but goodie"Big Blue" blue color bullet shaped, 4 ea. jet holes running through the body, I would want it triple skirted, colors
out side skirt blue, silver belly diag.stripes,inner skirt pink, and purple. 500 or 600 trace, 10/0 hooks, double rig or single stiff.

Long out rigger, Coggins lead loaded Super Plunger, shell head, skirts outside black, inside rainbow, trace 500 or 600lb. hook 11/0 single stiff rigged.

Short out rigger would have to be that Rodent thing Pakula makes, mouse or what ever he calls it, sized for use with 12 inch skirts, Pakula colors, Lumo, or Frigate-Evil. 500 or 600 lb. trace, 11/0 hook-single stiff rigged.

Long corner, would have to be Capt. Roddy's legend lure, the one and only Ando-morphis, spelling???? 600 lb. trace, hook 12/0 single stiff rig . skirt colors, outside blue-silver belly-diag. stripes, inside blue green and gold belly glitter.

Short corner, Bart's Brasilliano, trace 600 lb. or more, hook 12/0 single stiff rigged, colors just like the one shown below, left corner of page. In all fairness to other manufactures, I just picked this selection at random off the top of my head. Any one left out sorry as it was not intentional. Well actually it was,(just kidding)

Capt. Roddy I like your summary of the Aussie "Demon Dongs", I am a sponge for satirical humor, thanks for the belly laugh. I followed the path you so aptly decribed right on down to where the Aussie blokes wife suggests he use his schwang for more useful purposes "$$" supplemental income! Brilliant, only my mind would not shot off there, instead I visualized his performance done in the sincerest manner whilst trying to help out his families financial condition. Like all show men he drew a crowd of female groupies who adored his package. Leading to an encounter with one of the more temptuous darlings of the road. In other words they find a place where she can climb on, then off. Her retort after the dirty deeds done, is a loud, [font color=red]"What in the hell is wrong with you?"[/font]papa

:+
Old 08-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Chief potato-peeler

SCMO Expert

Bart,

I too went down that road with the 'shwongs' too. I envisaged one of these evil contortionists in bed with an unsuspecting woman one night and he demonstates his excitedness vividly. She noticing (and being a woman of some authority and expertise), says something similiar to " For Christsakes, tie a knot or something in that thing will you ?".

To which he replies simply, "Okay".............

Roddy

PS: despite your post I feel somewhat cheated by your choice of lures (apart from the Coggins - you must have something in your collection you'd much rather put in the long corner, for example. C'mon, you are the LURE MAN !)

Old 08-27-2002, 01:08 PM

SCMO Expert
Chip

Allrighty then, here's what I ran yesterday in marginal sea conditions. We raised a 300 that didn't bite and tagged a 200 that started on the SC and got stuck on the SR. Lots of flyers around on the outside so I did something I seldom do and ran an all blue and pink theme with a few subtle variations.

SC, Big Bomboy, 800 leader double 13/0 hooks. Blue vinyl outside, pink and yellow newells inside. This is a copy of Steve Coggins big bulbous scooped thing made by Bomboy Llanas, he calls it Mcgilla Garilla, I think. Heavy strike drag so small ones don't carry it out of the spread with a 13/0 on there nose. The 200 we tagged gave it two shots before sticking on the short rigger.

LC, JY super plunger, blue vinyl with pink and white newells under. 600 leader 12/0 double hooks.

SR, Joe Palacat "NONAME" blue vinyl with pink and chartreus newells under. 600 leader 11/0 lead with a 10/0 trailer double hook rig. This is a modified Vanderhook plunger, little bigger face and a tad steeper cut, it would surprize you how well it stays put. this is the third hook arrangement I tried on this lure and I'm 4 from 5 now with this set up, before had lots of bites and unexceptable results. The one I gave to Marty in Ghana was a magnet too!

LR, Crampton plunger, blue back with white pearl essence belley. Blue vinyl on top, pink and white newells with two stands of yellow under. Old faithful when flyers are around. 500 leader double 10/0's. Raised the looker on this yesterday.

SG, medium blue jet by Billy Ross, some guys call it "baby blue". Triple nine inch skirts, blue/silver, orange/white, pink in that order, that's called " general skirts " here. When I lose this lure, and I will someday, I'm going to shut down the boat and we'll all bow our heads for a moment of silence. 500 and 9/0's

Don't know what I'll run tomorrow, we'll see how the water is. I'm sure I'll think of something.

Aloha,

Chip

808-960-5954
bvanmols@rod-bender.com
Old 08-27-2002, 01:58 PM

SCMO Expert
Capt. Bart Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Aloha Plankton,
Sorry your disappointed, I can't help it, seems I am infected with the Pink Porkers philosophy, and or other wise, clean K.I.S.S like approach toward lure fishing, or at least I am today.

How about this choice, S.G. Super Plunger --L.R. Medium Chee tube lightly loaded in the belly. -- S.R. Abaco Prowler.-- L.C. Brasilliano.-- S.C. Lunch--All on the new up graded unlimited Accurate Reels,with heavy duty Tu Tu cams-- 1 to 1 & 2.3--gears, dual drags with with 150 lbs. of pure braking power, don't laugh this new proto type reel is more than just on the drawing board, it will be in some lucky anglers command soon enough--heavy custom rods 180 blank, all ballbearing guides.

That's it gimee a boat, I'm out of here, I'd love to hang a shingle saying,"Gone fishing for Tu Tu!" (AND MEAN IT) PAPA

Old 08-27-2002, 02:57 PM
Benevolent Dictator

MarlinNut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MarlinNut
Default SoCal Spin

I guess it's going to be up to me to take up the banner for the local marlineers. It's tourney season here, and I guess they've all gone off the air for the duration.

Personally, I like to experiment. You might hear over the radio that someone got a marlin on such-and-such lure, and be tempted to run and put one on. But I prefer to stick with what I've had success with, particularly in bringing back those lures from past seasons to see if they will still perform. They usually do ...
Outriggers: (We run both riggers on the same wave, so left is as good as right, and visa versa)

Zuker ZM-3.5 Flathead - black/purple or Mean Joe Green (black/green), depending on my whims. A great lure, and one of the most consistent performers over the last 5 years.

Pakula Cockroach - stripey pattern. Peter Pakula was one of the first international contacts I had through this site, and he was kind enough to provide me with one of these several years ago. It scored right out of the box, and was my secret for about a year. It still holds a fond place in my heart.

Flat Corner Lines:(Also both on the same wave)

Sevenstrand 1220C - color #71 (old dorado). A couple of years ago, this color was discontinued. Those lucky enough to have them found them to be the hottest thing on the water. Sevenstrand finally had to bow to pressure and reinstate the color.

ALlure Petrolero. Cabo San Lucas' very successful oilman, these were another secret for a couple of seasons. Still a good producer.

Stinger (long down the center):

Sevenstrand Electric Acoustic Lure (EAL). OK, I haven't seen enough of these to decide which color is best, nor do I fully believe that a beeping lure (especially one that looks like an old Pro Series, which never worked in SoCal, anyway) can really make a difference. But the damn things are catching fish, and until I can figure it all out for myself, I'd have one in my wake.

When it comes to marlin lures, I'm like a chick with shoes - I can't have enough. I have 32 that I carry with me on the boat, and at least another 50 at home that I'm constantly cycling through the boat set. This is looking to be a good lure fishing year here in SoCal, so I'm sure to have a new favorite soon :7

You cannot be a sportsman and not care about the fish. You can be a fisherman, but not a sportsman, and no self-respecting angler should settle for being just a fisherman.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Chief potato-peeler

SCMO Expert

Chip,

You're my man !! There we go........instead of the McDonalds philosophy, we have a clear cut indication into what someone runs when they don't buy out of a mega-plastic store.

Apart from the Joe Yee, any chance you could post some piccies of the Bomboy, the Crampton and the Big Boss ? That is what all the afficiendas on this board would like to see !!

Pretty please ?
__________________________________________________ _______________

Bart...........ya cheated on the second spread - but you're forgiven. I like running the lures I make too, and to hell with the rest !!

The reels sound very interesting........any more details forthcoming ?

Roddy