[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Fish Tales


Bahia de los Angeles


Darrell "Smitty" Smith reports on a recent caravan down the coast of Baja ...

Bahia de Los Angeles was hot, literally. The road was not too bad with most pot holes easily negotiable. The Pemex station at Catavina was closed and the only fuel there were from venders out of the back of their pickups. Be aware the containers they use are full of contaminates (rust, paint chips and dirt) and the price was $2.54 a gallon. The station at Bahia de Los Angeles never opened and I believe has been out of fuel for a long time. Alfredo sells it at the bay and will deliver it to your boat for 2 bucks a gallon, plus a $US10 delivery fee. I think you have to buy 55 gal at a time from him. He is a good guy dependable and has clean fuel. Better to load up your own in El Rosario for a much better price.

We were very lucky this year, arriving June 23rd, and the weather held pretty well. Leading the caravan I exclaim,"There it is" and my son Alex repeats it in the hand held VHF for the rest to hear. The view from the top of the 2000 foot pass is awesome. The horizon is littered with islands just outside the bay, and Isla Angel de la Guardia is stretched out protecting all of them. We stop to take in the beauty and shoot a couple photos and contemplate the following days pursuit of big yellowtail. We hurried down the hill to Casa Diaz, where the rooms were ready but same old rough shape, and put the boats in the water.

Fishing was slim pickings, nothing like in years past. The gill netters were there in force. I wish I knew the right people to complain to. They need regulations and a means to enforce the rules. We fished hard and went far and wide. Gil Irwin landed the biggest yellowtail, weighing about 25-lbs, at a pinnacle several miles south west of the big island and pretty little Kelly Simpkins managed a 20-pounder at the cut, north end of Smith Island. Tom Shaffer tossed a fresh mackerel to a 100-lb sail fish and the fight was on. Ride 'em cowboy! On the way to La Guardia we spotted it breezing the surface. The battle lasted about 10 minutes on 30-lb line then we released it after we shot some photos. The rest of us caught small school sized yellows at Eagles Nest, a little island about 8 miles north of Smith close to shore.

The trip home was fine, and we stopped at Cielito Lindo in San Quintin to try our luck on the tuna. They are great there. Deb was very attentive to our needs and Ron and Judy that run the boats are the greatest. We launched in questionable weather but wanted to give it a try anyway. The sea beat our brains out with only one yellowtail landed. Ron said, "you should have been here yesterday! It was flat as a pancake and the guys picked up a bunch of yellowfin tuna." According to Ron, the weather seems to last for 3 days then flattens again. We are all sorry we couldn't stay to wait out the 3 days.

Back to Fish Tales
[an error occurred while processing this directive]